Block paving manhole cover - lifting

I don't think lifting 25 kgs is an issue at all. I moved mine umpteen times after installation because I had making good inside to do and didn't want the cat down there

Reply to
Stuart Noble

For covers with the T bars. Two strips of wood, one under either side of the T bar handles for the full length, sticking out each end by about 100mm. Strap them together with a couple of cable ties Wood must be 20mm thick for strength. If you can get 20mm box section steel so much the better. Get garden spade under one end of the two bits, resting it on another piece of wood to provide a fulcrum and lever the spade so that the cover rises by about 20mm. Now put a piece of wood under the two strips that stick out to act as a packing piece. Remove the spade and go to the other end and do the same. Carry on lifting and packing about 20mm a time at each end until the cover is clear of the ground. Needless to say the fulcrum will have to get bigger on each lift. If you are really keen, also buy some appliance movers that you can put under fridges and washing machines. These are not too expensive and can be placed under the two strips of wood/metal supporting the cover once it has been lifted and the cover lowered onto them so that it can be slid away from the opening. Some packing will be required between the appliance movers and the strips supporting the cover. Replacing the cover is the same process of lifting and lowering at each end by about 20mm increments.

Keep finger clear at all times.

If the cover is stuck before you start, lift one of the T bars and slip a garden fork underneath. Rest the fork on a fulcrum (bit of wood or brick) and lever down to break the seal. Do the same the other end. Have a good clean up around the cover before you start.

Reply to
Sidpickle

Ummm...Let's Do the Time Warp Again?

Reply to