Block paving

I need to replace an expanse of old tarmac, concrete and crazy paving with something that will look acceptable in a domestic environment and which will be ok to run cars and delivery vans over (as happens now). The existing is broke up and sunken in a number of places. Block paving has been suggested by a local builder. He says 2 inch of hardcore + concrete block paving on sand will be fine for a drive. Given the existing sinking, I'm distinctly dubious. I don't want to end up with something that pools rain water where the car is parked after a couple of months.

Any golden rules for this sort of thing please?

Mark W.

Reply to
Mark Webb

has the answer for all things paving....

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Hmm, you are right to be dubious!

2" for the blocks 2" of sharp sand bedding 6" of well compacted hardcore (even more in the delivery vans are frequent/heavy)

is more like it. That means you have to dig 10" BELOW the finished level to do things properly. This costs money. You pays your money.....

I'd get another builder, but be prepared to pay much more to get it done properly.

Neil

Reply to
N.Jowsey

Thought as much. Thanks.