bleeding radiator!

I have one radiator (the highest one in the house) that need constant bleeding, every week, the central heating is oil and has been in around 2 months. The radiator is pretty uneven, mostly hot but one corner is only warm. This week when I bleed the radiator air came out as normal but then nothing, no water came out at all. Any ideas?

Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Hoskin

If it's a vented system, chances are that your header tank is empty because the ball valve has stuck closed (or maybe there's a stop tap - either in the feed to the header or in the feed from the header to the system - which is closed).

If this is the case, you need to remedy it PDQ - otherwise you'll draw more and more air into the system. Time for a trip up to the attic!

[Alternatively, if it's a sealed pressurised system, it has lost pressure as you have removed the air, and needs re-pressurising via its filling loop]
Reply to
Set Square

its a sealed system, time to give the plumber a ring then I think.

Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Hoskin

Doubt if he works on Christmas Day! Never had a sealed system myself, but I've always assumed that topping up the pressure from time to time was a DIY activity. If it's got insufficient pressure, it could stop circulating altogether at a *very* inconvenient time!

There must be a pressure gauge somewhere. What does it read a) when the system is cold and b) when it is hot?

Reply to
Set Square

Pressure gauge might be part of the boiler. I've never dealt with an oil-fired boiler, but both combi's I've had both had the gauge as part of the boiler.

I re-fill mine via the filling loop as and when (normally only after the boiler's been serviced - takes a while for the system to settle back to 'normal' pressure, it seems to drop after a service for some reason, or after I've bled air) - not difficult at all.

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

Ther is yoir problem.

Keep bleeding for the next 4 months, and you should finally get a stable system. #

The radiator is pretty uneven, mostly hot but one corner is only

Bet its a mains pressure system and it ran out of mains pressure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nah. Repressuries and keep bleeding. Took me a LONG tome to clear ALL the air out of mine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My oil boiler has gauge on it. Camray somtuhning or other.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My gf has a combi and some of the radiators were a bit cooler than expected. I noticed the pressure gauge on the boiler and wondered if the pressure was a bit low. There's a red line on the gauge - is that where the pointer should be? When hot or when cold?

Thanks, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Normally says in the instructions. Can vary from boiler to boiler. Mine's a min of 1 bar when cold iirc, and I think it's normally around

1.5 bar when cold, rising slightly when hot. On my guage the red line is moveable so have a look at the actual presure, don't rely on that red line being right if it's one that can be moved too.

But best bet is to have a read of the stuff that should be with the boiler. That'll tell you what it should be, and whether at hot or cold.

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

Hey up,

cheers for the advice I'll give it a go over the next few days. I've had a look at the boilers destructions and know where the pressure gauge is on the boiler and I've found the filling loop, venting and filling

Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Hoskin

Is there any water in the header tank (the small one if you have 2 or more) in the attic? That's where the water that should come out of the rad comes from.

And did you make sure the system pump wasn't running while you were bleeding the rad? Depending on the configuration of pump, pipes, rad etc the pump can suck air in rather than it being expelled when you're trying to bleed a system. Though I expect you'd have encountered this situation before if you have been having to bleed the system so often in the past.

-- John Stumbles

-+ Thank God I'm an atheist

Reply to
John Stumbles