bleeding an oil fired aga

My oil tank was moved and the Aga is now stone cold but the builder did not know how to bleed it. Can I do it myself...if so how? It seems a waste to pay someone if its a little job. Its a 4-oven, genuine oil (not a conversion).

Cheers

Reply to
Andrew Grant

Its not bad.

Disconnect the oil supply as near to the aga as you can get, and attach some sort of pipe to it that is flexible.

If oil doesn't pour out, you need to suck it to clear airlocks.

Probaly teh easiets thing to do - which I DIDN'T do - is to get a big glass jar and a bit of stiff cardboard and some plasticene.

Stick teh cardboard on the jar with the plasticene, poke a hole for the hose and seal that with plasticene, poke another hole to take a vacuum cleaner, poke the end of that in as well, and switch on.

Once clean non bubbly oil is flowing, you can reconnect the pipe and then follow relighting instructions for the aga. If the float chamber still doesn't fill you may have a problem.

You may also take the opportinity to ge an aga service man in to decoke the burner. Mine packed up completely due to carbon build up after 18 moths from new. He should also be able to re-balance the float chamber and get the oil flows dead right.

Worth the hundred quid or so. That's regular 'branded aga man'. Private guys are cheaper, and may be just as good.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher