Bit Ot: halogen heaters

I was looking for some heating for hom and saw some halogen heaters in argos on sale and wondered if they are any good for heating a living room or bedroom ?

a oil filled one from argos ?

these expensive to run ?

Thanks

Reply to
James

In message , James writes

@ £6 +

They don't heat the room, they heat what they are pointed at

they are radiative heaters, they are not space heaters

crap for heating a room, good for heating a person

Reply to
geoff

Halogen heaters are best at heating the person rather than the room. They are radiant types.

or a oil filled one from argos ?

best and quickest space heater is a fan assisted type.

All electric heating is expensive. Storage types using off peak prices are the cheapest.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use these halogen heaters a lot.. They are ideal for heating people that are sitting still and can have the heat pointed at them. They provide almost instant warmth and are very efficient - using a fraction of the power that heating the whole room to a "reasonable" temperature would use.

The oil-filled ones heat the whole room. They can take tens of minutes to produce reasonable warmth - but that warmth will be distributed around the whole room.

The elements in the halogen heater are under greater stress and an oil-fired heater should have a much longer life without needing replacement parts. Also, halogen heaters could heat-damage anything too close, in front of them.. including children and adults asleep or unable to move away. So, whilst a 1.5kW halogen heater could be used to provide the same heat as a 1.5kW oil-filled one, the latter should have a longer life.

You can buy halogen heaters like these for far less than the Argos price. I paid

Reply to
Palindrome

Whilst I can agree with your previous paragraphs, without reservation - the last line isn't quite as clear-cut. It really does depend on the house and how it is used.

As an example, if the house is empty most of the day, with people arriving back at uncertain times, or not coming back that day at all - then "instant heat" fan heaters and radiant heaters on a standard tariff can work out a lot cheaper than storage heaters.

Also, if a great deal of daytime electricity has to be used (eg cooking, clothes washing and drying, etc) the loss due to the very high peak-rate tariff, compared to a standard tariff, can more than overcome the savings of heating on the off-peak tariff.

Reply to
Palindrome

Quite storage heaters are shit. That is all i have in my flat. And I only use them in really cold spells and if I am out of work.

Otherwise they stifle you all night then lose their heat by the time you want them in the evening. Absolute crap and total waste of space.

I use a couple of halogen heaters of the 400W x3 variety. I only need the tree bars occasionally. And have only used the two heaters when Onstream fecked up in their usual incompetent way, big time, all over me a couple of Chrimbos ago.

for which a Google Groups search will elucidate the unwary, should they invite themselves into your home to f*ck up your meter. Don't let them touch anything until you are sure the rent collector they trained to Not Vewy Quevva standards is working elsewhere.

They are fecking morons. And every electricity reseller uses the bastards. You can not escape. I wonder if they ever called on Mugrat Treatcher.

I bet the bitch gets top notch service if she ever does need the neddies. I hope she rots in hell PDQ.

You can bypass the way storage heaters are connected and put a multi socket in-line with them and run radiants on the economy tariff.

I'm not sure it is legal but I will do anything to stuff them, any way possible.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Thats interested the bit about storage heaters, I have these to and they are rubbish.

Reply to
James

>>> or a oil filled one from argos ?

>>> are these expensive to run ?

Hi Sue,

That proved an interesting and usefull read. I'll think I'll get 2 reasonable priced heaters a halogen and oil filled and give your method a good which sounds as though it will be efficient and cost effective for me :)

Thank you all :)

Reply to
James

Ahhh is that how they work ... I stodd infront of onc once and thought hmmm thats good and did not think where it heater.

Reply to
James

Heres some that I found and wondered which is best:

James

I've rented several flats that came with them.. First thing I did each time, after the first one, was to get the dual tariff meter replaced with a single tariff one and never used those heaters.

But then, the place was empty during the day, practically every day. What I wanted was instant heat when I got home in the evening and I didn't want to pay the peak rate tariff to get it.

I can see that storage heaters could have a role where there is a mum and kids at home all day and everyone packs off to bed at 8 in the evening - but that wasn't quite my lifestyle..

Reply to
Palindrome

The wattage you need depends on many factors, room size, house construction, aspect, useage patterns, etc. However, for those models there seems to be no contest - the half price 14.98 one.

Reply to
Palindrome

It should be possible to produce a decent well insulated storage unit which only outputed heat on demand - by using a fan. That's not so say such a thing exists in the UK.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The wattage you need depends on many factors, room size, house

Does seem to be very cheap was about £30. I think its worth a good.

I know a shop on the high street selling halogens about about £15 which I'll pick one up.

Reply to
James

> The wattage you need depends on many factors, room size, house

All out of stock at my local ones. :(

Reply to
James

Not quite the same, but perhaps near enough:

Palindrome

I've got 4 storage heaters here - at this time of year they allow me to keep the house above 14DegC without much user intervention, works quite well for me while saving up for the heat pump...!

(Main heating is the multi-fuel stove)

Reply to
cupra

Ok that looks good enough.

I found a halogen here

do you think its turns left and right :)

Reply to
James

In message , cupra writes

LoL - I wish SWMBO would accept that temperature as a starting point!!!

Here anything below 20"C is considered arctic (and my brain doesn't work so well at higher temperatures due to me starting to fall asleep. :(

Reply to
Si

hehe I get drowsy too if its too hot

Reply to