Conduit recommendations exterior to interior

Hi, does anyone have suggestions for good a good conduit product to take a 10mm2 cable from inside a building to outside and down into the ground? Just that I tried standard black conduit pipe before for 6mm2 and it was murder getting it through all the bends.

I'm considering the circle boxes as joiners rather than using bends as they look easier, but am not sure if a) they are good for exterior use and b) how I get the cable into the building (requires 90deg bend straight in through the wall from the ground) . Thanks.

Reply to
Richard

Do you mean 6mm TW&E? If so I'm not surprised. The correct stuff for conduit is single cables.

Can't you use SWA? Much less hassle than conduit and cheaper too - as well as a better job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for the response...

Yes it was TW&E! So what should you use for TW&E - I didnt want to use armoured cable to keep costs down and I needed to route a lot of the cable through the house first. Since I needed an uninterrupted cable from consumer unit to outhouse , thought TW&E with conduit would have been the best option..

What is SWA? Armoured cable? For 6mm2 TW&E I thought it was a lot more pricey

=A0 London SW

Reply to
Richard

Conduit since it provides protection doesn't need the cover of TW&E so you'd normally use single cables.

drawing through even those can be tricky.

Yes - steel wire armoured. Will cost about a couple of quid a metre for

16mm three core cut to length.

So cheaper than TW&E plus conduit - as well as being easier to install, neater, and a better job. You can always join it inside the house to TW&E if this is easier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 05:25:04 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Richard wrote this:-

Why?

A general way of doing such circuits is to run twin and earth through the house to a suitable box inside the house. From there steel wire armoured cable is run to the outbuilding. One of the things to watch is whether the size of the protective conductor in the T&E is large enough.

Reply to
David Hansen

Too late now, patio laid :-( I'll have to continue with what I've got, so any recommendations for conduiting into the house gratefully received. I'll research more thoroughly next time..Thanks for the advice

Reply to
Richard

Because the building inspector or the Section L approving party (cant remember which it was now, its been so long), told me so! I'm not particularly chuffed if I could have connected from a separate box in the house near to where it exited the house (my original idea), as routing that wire was a PITA! Thanks for the advice anyway..

Reply to
Richard

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 11:40:44 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Richard wrote this:-

They were wrong.

Reply to
David Hansen