Binary numbering and how to teach a moron

Page 3 of 5
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:03:36 +0100, "Owain"
We've only got their word for it that they came out right haven't we? ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
"Gnube" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >But women are different! They can understand knitting patterns. | We've only got their word for it that they came out right haven't we? | ;O)
You mean you have a suspicion that the hand-knitted tank-top Mrs Gnube presented you with last birthday started out as a tea-cosy but she got the tension wrong?
Owain
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:44:20 +0100, "Owain"

You may jest, but you're horribly closer than you could ever know - anyway, returned her to the manufacturers many, many years ago happily. (warranty job; didn't do what it said at the altar, and I supposed that one of us would have to take the vows seriously, which left the job to me)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

the
As long as you kept the receipt. :-)) Can you change her for a newer model if she was still under warranty ?
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:11:00 GMT, "BigWallop"
Well, I still got the bill to pay! But that's bloomin lawyers for you! ;O)

Lord I don't know, never went for another one, could not see the point as it's a basic design flaw. Not as missed as I would have expected to be honest. I've got a theory that Men and Women are two fundamentally incompatible species anyway, despite all the hype to the contrary. As for what ever I may be missing, (which everyone seems to feel obliged to ask about eventually), I'd rather have a cuppa anyway; slightly ridiculous business if you actually stop to think about it for more than a few seconds! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

I've tried drawing it on the back of his hand this morning. :-)) He's got 5 heads to set up, so I'm waiting to see if it helping before I go ahead with style sheets that Witchy done for me. I just hope it is really helping him and so far no phone calls. :-))
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:45:38 GMT, "BigWallop"

I hope he hasn't got a runny nose 'cos one careless wipe with the hand and that's his crib sheet gone :)
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs
BigWallop wrote:

I would go for either printing up a little booklet of numbers 0 to 1023 and the associated switch positions, or finding something programmable (like an old Psion series 3, or even one of those nice new Java compatible mobile phones) and knocking up a little program to do the conversion for him on the fly with a pictorial output.
--
Cheers,

John.

hair
But that's the rub John. He has a calculator that converts decimal to binary for him, and he knows how to work it, but he can't grasp that the number showing on the screen is the positions the switches should be in. It's is something that is getting to him, that doesn't want, or can't, see the translation. Weird ! :-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:15:16 GMT, "BigWallop"

He's obviously being confused by you saying he's working in base 2. I'd knock up a quick PHP script that does numbers from 1 to summat like 1023 and creates DIP switch images based on the binary equivalent - the web counter on my museum site works in the same way.
In fact I might do that later on just for the hell of it.
Show him this: "there are 10 types of people in the world that understand binary. Those who do and those who don't"
If his brain melts he's never going to get it :)
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs

my
see
ROFL !!!
Now you've got me confused !! :-)) My brain hurts. LOL
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

"there are 10 types of people in the world that

Thanks for this line Big Wallop, I've been trying to remember it as I've followed this thread!
I recall some years ago watching schools TV (broken leg in plaster etc) when they covered the binary method. The approach was by using a (cartoon) octupus and illustrating counting to a base of 8 (number of legs on Octupus, geddit?). 8 was called 'Octo'; 9 was 'Octo-one'; 17 was 'twocto-one' etc. It was fun to my daughter and she quickly caught on. They then moved progressively down to a base of 2 and it all made sense (to her anyway). HTH BAH

The last time I saw this, it was in a tagline from someone who frequents this group (I think), and it read:
There are 11 types of people in the world. Those who don't understand binary, those who do but don't get the joke, and those who get the joke.
Hwyl!
M.
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk /

You've left out the ones who don't understand binary, so that's 20 kinds.
What's the joke?
mike r
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:43:13 +0000 (UTC), mike ring

You've just raised a question which is far too dangerous for anyone to actually ask! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Yep. Bob Eager has that as a sig at the mo.
Oddly I am wearing this tshirt today :
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/5aa9 /
Working in a computing department it is scary how many people don't understand it. I guess binary is so hidden from todays computer scientists that they just don't need it :(
Maybe the OP ought to get one of these for his "student":
http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/lights/59e0 /
Tell him he can't go home till he has worked out what the time is :)
Cheers,
Darren

Brilliant idea ! And when it arrives he'll be in the workshop for the rest of that week. :-))
On Thu, 16 Oct 03 08:14:28 GMT, dmc wrote:

Hey thats wonderful I want one! The blue LED and brushed ali looks super. Wonder if it lives of 120v via a wall wart, thus easyly powerable via a suitable UK wall wart...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
dmc wrote:

I saw that a few weeks ago - it might well head for the christmas list, but (getting back on topic) I'd quite like to build one - in software if my electronics skills aren't up to it.
--
Chris
-----

my