BG Central Heating breakdown care

Page 9 of 11

That's what it means to me as well. I don't have the angst that you do about making good money out of providing high quality goods and services. The two are fully compatible, not mutually exclusive. The customer's willingness to pay ultimately sets the market conditions.

That would imply taking money illegally.

Very simple. A general policy guideline is used across the company, and then assessments of individuals done by their manager and their manager's manager to ensure fairness.

No. But then we've moved on from the days when Scargill and his union cronies held the country to ransom.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

There is nothing wrong with making money from a high quality service, if the service IS high quality and the public not ripped off.
BG provided high quality service with public owned and it geared to break even. It was cheaper to have your boiler seen to than your cheapo Indesit washing machine. It worked, and it worked well to the benefit of the service people and the public.

That is debatable and people are calling for laws to make it illegal.

The managers? Do you mean the canteen manageress? I'm sure she can assess a CH engineer.

No they never. Scargill predicted the closure of all the mines and fought to stop it. It is in his contract of employment to do so. He adhered to his contract.

The customer decides whether he is being ripped off or not by choosing to buy or not.

This was not my experience.

Extortion is illegal anyway. There is accountability within existing company legislation in that if the shareholders don't like the directors they can dismiss them. It isn't for the state to interfere in the commercial arrangements of remuneration packages - this is unnecesssary regulation for politically dogmatic reasons only.
You'll be advocating statutory wage control next - another throwback of a failed era.

No I mean the individual's line manager and their manager. If that person is not appropriately qualified, then that is a separate problem.

..... and won the undying gratitude of the nation. Give me a break. Protectionism and untenable situations never work in even the medium term. All that Scargill achieved was to prolong the agony of an inevitable death.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

On privatisation they brought in "managers", who technically knew nothing. Another tier of balls, which Thatcher did to the NHS.

After the miners stile public opinion was firmly against Thatcher despite all the press being for her.

Most of the mines were viable. We stared to import coal from Eastern Europe and elsewhere which was mined by people with appalling working and safety conditions.

Obviously this was not the right strategy. It is not necessary for a manager to have an in-depth technical understanding of a business, but it is necessary for them to have an adequate appreciation of how it works and what can be achieved and what cannot.
Experience shows that if you have a company dominated by any one discipline, be it sales, marketing, finance, HR, engineering, manufacturing, it will probably not work in the medium to long term.. A balance between skills is required to be successful.
Successful private sector companies manage this perfectly well. This is why I make the point that on privatisation, public sector monopolies should be broken up and a new culture created.

The only failing there was not shutting it down then.

supply without union interference could not be achieved in the UK at the time.
Perhaps now it would be different.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

What mines were these then? I thought viable meant capable of success or continuing effectiveness.
-- Adam
adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Arthur Scargill did an interview about 3 years ago which brought the situation into sharp relief - the cost to the taxpayer for subsidising the nuclear industry was more than the cost of keeping ALL the mines open and giving the damn stuff away for free.

Except the Government have signed up for the Kyoto accord, so fossil fuel use has to decrease.
writes

--
Andrew

Andrew wrote in message ... etc
Complete waste of time anyway, more European cars( + eastern Europe) and with bigger engines, more central heating all over, a throwaway western economy and massive economic/population growth in the east, mean Kyoto is doomed to failure. Regards Capitol
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 21:24:21 -0000, "Capitol"

Just as well, then, given that it's totally unneccesary.
--
Niall

Most CH is natural,gas and emissions on boilers are getting better by legislation. MG is very clean at the worst of time, with high efficiency burners super clean. The main problem is mainly power stations and car emissions, with some industry adding too. Domestic CH in the near future will not be a big problem.

IMM wrote in message ...
Domestic CH in the near future

Sadly this is not the case. Heating in the east is still wood/coal/oil fired. As economic activity increases, the pollution will get much, much worse. Some forecasts ( I think it was Newsweek) claim that the whole world will be covered in a carbon particle dust cloud within the next 50yrs.
On another point, Arthur Scargill is a failure as a trade union leader, as his actions caused the loss of most of his members jobs. Calling a heating strike as you go into the summer, when the generating stations have been stocking up for the previous year, was an act of monumental stupidity. Deep mined coal is uneconomic as a fuel with UK labour rates and more so with national insurance/tax increases. Surface mined coal is readily available from all over the world at much lower costs. UK coal in its present form has only survived courtesy of various government baleouts. Scargill could have negotiated a controlled rundown of the industry but failed to do so.
Whilst I have reservations about gas and oil fired electricity generation in their present form, in the long run, nuclear generation is the least polluting system on the planet, albeit disposal problems at end of life need improving.
I see we are being subjected to a proposal to bring in the minimum wage for 16 year olds. As IMO the minimum wage was only brought in to increase the NI and income tax grab( 10% wage increase0% tax grab increase?), I guess the same trick is being worked again to fill the holes in Brown's overspent budget. With income and corporation tax revenues falling (how?, in spite of pseudo full employnent), one wonders when the bubble will burst?
Regards Capitol

As boiler production increase to EU standards, the levels will be set for other parts of the world too. The third world will be dragged along too.

He saw the writing on the wall and only had one alternative. Not to do anything would against his contract of employment.

The overall cost to the UK was negative. Unemployment benefits, expensive imports, etc.

The disposal problems means it is the most polluting. Local combined heat and power generation systems, as they have in Sweden is the long term future. Or the Microgen CHP gas powered boiler connected to the grid. This is highly efficient as there are no line losses. If all the millions of new homes to be built in the UK had these fitted, there would be less need for major electricity infrastructure and the wind power generation can go ahead.

A minimum wage is "essential".

More right wing doom and gloom hoping.

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:30:35 -0000, "Capitol"

I think part of the reasoning here will be related to votes for Labour. I suspec they are getting worried that the general electorate are getting p'd off with them, and their majority is at stake.
A short time ago they were advocating voting at 16 via Lord Falconer:
This makes sense by virtue of the fact that at age 16 the young ones haven't been crippled by university top-up fees, and by the time they have it will be too late for those youngsters who think that Blair and Co are the best thing since sliced bread.
The minimum wage applied to 16 year olds is the same process IMHO, make the 16/17 year olds feel that they've got a government doing something for them, and grab a few more votes to maintain them in power.

Yes, that is in my mind a major issue. One more term of Labour should do it. Unfortunately it will do the country in as well. Perhaps the upside is that by then they will have p'd off so many young people that Labour won't be in government again anytime in the next 20 years.
Whilst I hate Labour with a vengeance, part of me wants them to get back in because then the electorate will have a chance to equate conditions with a government that has been in power circa 10 years or more. And the electorate has a very long memory - it's only because many of the voters in the 70's have a headstone over their last resting place that they've managed to get in for the last 6 years.
What I do not want to happen is for (say) a Tory administration to get in and start correcting things, because there will definitely be some bad medicine in there. That means that at the following election Labour will get in, and it will be the same old game of ping-pong that brought this country into a state of crisis in the 70's.
PoP

Not another brainwashed Tory voter. My God, you obviously don't know.
Please read Who Runs Britain by Paxman and Who owns Britain By cahill. Then if you think the Tories have the common man in mind you are mad.

I had heard that these pseudo-commies still existed, but never actually met on "in the wild".
I had typed up quite a good argument and then thought "What's the point?" There's no way of educating a commie.

Which commie do you refer?

What good argument might this be. It can only have good grammar, as the content will be vacant.

Whatever. But Bliar has still signed.