Best Mains Water Pressure Reducing Valve?

In my area we have ridiculously high water pressure. Last measured at 10.8 bar last week.

Internally - some years ago - I installed an IMI pressure reducer valve like BES 9434

This works very nicely - when it works (which is most of the time)!

The problem is that on occasions it does not completely shut off and the water pressure can creep up....stopping at a pressure that is too high and occasionally not stopping until it equalises with the supply. This can be alarming! (BTW this is my second valve of the type. They do have an integral grot-trap).

I am contemplating putting in an alternative valve and have found a Honeywell unit like this:

anybody have any experience or opinions on the best/most reliable pressure reducer valves? If so I'd appreciate your wisdom!

ps I AM in dialogue with the Water supplier about this. It would be great for them to reduce the pressure at source but but progress is "glacial".

Reply to
Vortex4

Dad's place is a few hundred yards from a water treatment plant, so we have problems with both excessive pressure, and sand carrying over from filter beds. Having valve seats (washing machines particularly) intermittently stick slightly open was a regular problem.

Fix seemed to be a whole-house water filter. It's changed annually, and there's a whole lot of gritty crud in there afterwards!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Vortex4 wibbled on Wednesday 13 January 2010 10:14

I have this one:

's only been in 6 months so no long term results. However, it is a nice high flow one - full flow is possible at all pressures (subject to following pipework).

Reply to
Tim W

Sounds good advice.

I've got the Honeywell valve laying around waiting for me to fit.

Honeywell kit is well regarded and well made. It would be the one I would have chosen anyway, but mine came bundled with my thermal store.

Reply to
dom

That looks like a good deal as well. I'm almost tempted to buy one on spec.

Reply to
Vortex4

Vortex4 wibbled on Wednesday 13 January 2010 12:06

Seems so. My requirement was, because I have a 1/2" feed and massive pressure, leading to a massive potential flow (55 lpm), I wanted to drop the flow, plumb in 22mm from there on and maintain the potential flow of 55 lpm.

I actually did tests, by whacking a bit of 22mm on top of the valve and measuring the flow into a (very large) bucket. Whatever pressure I set it too, it held the flow, so I was happy.

I rather wish I'd incorporated a filter before it (maybe it has one inside, I haven't looked). Not that we get much crap in the water, but it could happen if they work on the pipes outside... I might modify that when I take the final copper there to replace the temporary speedfit.

What I did do was include a full bore lever valve just before it as the main c*ck - much nicer than a tap style one and it's easy to see if it's fully off.

Reply to
Tim W

Stick to the Honeywell valve.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I went with Honeywell and expecting delivery today.

Reply to
Vortex4