Best kind of glue for ceramics?

I have a collection of small ceramic objects - mainly cups and teapots with broken handles - which I am being pressed to do something about. What's the best kind of glue to use?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Cyanoacrelate, but... If you can get this right, and match the crack up by feel in the several seconds before it sets, this is ideal. If you get it wrong, there isn't really much you can do. Much more forgiving is UV sensitive epoxy, as you can spend weeks lining the part up, then hit it with a bright light, and it's set.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

What, just ordinary superglue?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

It works well, if, and only if you get the exact alignment first go. (assuming that it's a crack, and that you have no missing bits) If you miss, and it ends up glued at a slight offset, it's much, much weaker, and any subsequent attempts at gluing don't work very well.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I use Araldite for ceramics / glass.

Kris

Cyanoacryclate is not bad, but epxy cured in teh oven is better, but more visible.

I use CA for decorative china, epoxy for stuff that is 'in use'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher