BCO Needed for Self Installed Gas Appliance?

My brother is approaching the commissioning of the boiler he has installed himself, with the help of Ed Sirret's Gas Faq, amongst other documents, thanks Ed.

Now I read a post on another forum claiming the BCO needs to approve such installations, but they normally waive the inspection if a CORGI engineer does it. I haven't heard of any such requirement. Should my brother be getting the BCO in?

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

There is now a requirement under part L1 of the Building Regulations to ensure that boilers and installations meet the energy saving rules. A CORGI fitter can self certify his work on this. If you DIY, then you should go for a building notice at the local authority.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes. The inspection is actually about energy efficiency, not installation safety. They need to check various issues, such as:

(a) boiler is condensing, or proper exemption procedure followed. (b) system is fully pumped. (c) boiler interlock. (room thermostat or fully TRVed with flow switch) (d) fully independent hot water and central heating controls. (e) working cylinder thermostat. (f) (if new HWC) cylinder has enough insulation and large indirect coil. (g) division into subzones in larger houses.

I'm sure there are a few I've forgotten. Don't get the BCO in until the above are all done.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I forgot to mention (h) Separate temperature control of living and sleeping areas.

This may be done either using TRVs or subzoning. Larger houses must use subzoning, with separate timing control, possibly backed up by TRVs within the zone.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thats up to him and in reality, no one will know whether he did or not.

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

tarquinlinbin

Exactly the attitude he is taking! In fact he bought the boiler a year ago and it has sat about ever since whilst he redid the electricity and the kitchen units etc as a precursor, so the start date may predate these regs anyway.

It is not a condensing boiler but like I say, it was bought 6 months prior to the condensing regs etc. He already has an existing tank and immersion heater, it has an external pump, the tank thermostat is new since the old one was stuck on boiling point, and he has TRV's I know about the thermostatic control business, I shall check and see whether he's installed one. Otherwise, no need to burden our burgeoning state sector with any more work, eh?!!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy