Battery adapter help please!

Yes, those batteries should run it for about 20 minutes or so.

Yes. First, find out what voltage range the camera can run off. Many have quite a wide range, of 5V-12V. If this is the case, then you can just power it straight off your 12V leisure battery.

If it has a narrower range, you need a suitable power supply to drop the

12V to 8V. Something like this:

a trailing cigar lighter socket:

Grunff

My horse is due to foal any day now, so I bought a wireless CCTV system so I could keep an eye on her. I specifically needed one that could run off a battery as there is no power in the stable.

I set it all up and it worked fine for a few minutes, then it stopped, and it looks as though the camera battery has run out. It was also supplied with an adaptor, which says Output 8V - 500mA. Well as the rechargeable batteries I have are 160mAh, would I be right in thinking that these batteries will last all of about 20 minutes?? If so, I'm absolutely seething, that's no good at all. I'm waiting for a response off the company that sold me the kit (they know exactly what it was being used for...)

Is there any way I can get the camera to run off a 12v leisure battery instead?

Cheers.

Reply to
xena

It might even run off 12V anyway - modern power inputs are quite tolerant - but it would be risky. You could buy a 12V inverter which would provide 240V power up to 150W for £25 from

(for example) and plug your mains adapter into that. This would be of perhaps more use long term and wouldn't require any work and would be quick!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I doubt it will care either way. Start at 7.5V, and if that doesn't work, switch to 9V.

I'm sure they'll have a suitable one.

Snip the lead and wire it straight to the camera, observing polarity.

YMW.

Reply to
Grunff

The main issue with using an inverter is the losses - the inverter + PSU combination will add a lot to your current draw, so you'll need to recharge your leisure battery fairly frequently.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks for that. The camera says it wants 8v, so do you think it would prefer 7.5v or 9v? I don't think I have the luxury of waiting for delivery now, so I guess it'll be whatever Halfords have. I've found an old multi-voltage adaptor like the one you linked to, but none of the 4 adaptors will fit the camera :(

Many thanks for your help.

Reply to
xena

Interesting idea. I need one fast, but Halfords are doing them for £27.99 according to their website. They should be safe around horses, shouldn't they? It's not got the oomph of a normal 240v supply, after all. What about the fact that it would be outdoors in an unfavourable climate, i.e. misty and windy, would it mind that?

Many thanks.

Reply to
xena

Are you sure the adaptor is not (also) a charger? If you plug in the camera with the batteries in and leave for a few hours, what sort of battery life do you get then?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

It's got more than enough oomph to kill anyone, if 240 will kill a horse.

With a human, a few watts are enough, and these are capable of hundreds.

The ones I've seen ain't weatherproof.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup, there's an adaptor coming out of the camera, into which you either plug a 9v battery (on an adaptor cable) or the 240v plug. In any case, if the max capacity of the battery is 160mAh, then it's only going to work for 19 minutes, as I work it out.

I've started the butchery, and it will hopefully be connected to the leisure battery within the next hour after my cuppa :)

Reply to
xena

PP3 batteries don't hold much electricity - you can get PP9 (used in Roberts Radios) or Maplin do battery boxes which will take 6 x AA, C or D cells and have a 9v battery clip on the side.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Let's hope all goes well for the horse...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Well with regard to the electrics, it's protected by a 5A fuse at the battery, and they would have to stretch very high to reach the cables, which are all tacked down very securely.

Reply to
xena

xena expressed precisely :

20 minutes would be about right.

If the 8v needed is 8v DC, then you could run it from a 7808 series regulator. Get a 1amp version of the 7808 from perhaps Maplin. It has three terminals + in, ground, + output at 8v. Mount in on an heat sink because it will need to be kept cool.

An 85amp hour battery will last around 130 hours continuous running.

Another solution might be to get hold of a long 240v extension and take care where you place the cable.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

on 04/07/2007, Dave Plowman (News) supposed :

1mA at 240v is enough to kill a human - animals are supposedly even more sensitive.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In article , Harry Bloomfield writes

Cite?

Reply to
fred

It's the mills that kills but the volts that jolts.

My lecturer at Uni had a research project that involved passing currents through the hearts of aneasthetised animals to see what current would make them die. He said it was about 10 mA

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I don't get this leccy thing at all. 12v doesn't hurt if you touch both terminals. My electric fence at 8,200V (yes 8.2KV) stings a bit but doesn't kill, yet somewhere in the middle, 1mA at 240v can kill??

Reply to
xena

Thanks, but she could literally foal any hour now, I can't risk waiting for stuff to turn up. I've tried to set it up using the 12v DC adaptor but haven't found a way of finishing the connections off just yet.

Not possible, the lane to next door goes between the house and the field, and I've been warned before by the kind folk on here that mains leccy near my horses ain't good.

Cheers for your advice tho.

Reply to
xena

I see. Obvious enough when you know how it's connected. The adaptor is probably slightly overspecced, but it's going to be minutes not hours certainly (and might even be worse than the 19 depending on the discharge curve at high cuurents (which it is for a small 9V)

If it was me I'd rig 6 D cells in series to a spare 9V battery lead (remembering that the colours will be the wrong way round). The rechargeable D in front of me is 2300mAh, a duracell will be much more.

Reply to
Chris Hodges