Bathroom Heaters

I am unable to put gas heating in my bathroom (Grrr!), so instead need to use electric heating. Any suggestions as to the cheapest heating that I can use (that will also make the bathroom nice and warm!)?

Thanks

Nuttie

Reply to
Nuttie Nannie

My preference in an unheated bathroom was a wall mounted fan (down flow) heater. Switch on 5 minutes before bath or shower, and run on for 5 minutes afterwards. Being able to standing under it when you come out of the bath/shower is rather handly. (A couple of visitors promptly copied the idea in their bathrooms.) If you are heating the room only on demand, it becomes more important to have a run-on extractor fan to avoid condensation problems.

I used a 2kW Dimplex model which dropped back to 1kW when the room got to

24C (or something like that). Make sure it's designed for bathroom use. (They also did variants which had lights or shaver sockets at the time, although I didn't do for one of those. This was a while back and their models have probably changed.)

Forget about electric towel rails as the primary source of heating in a bathroom -- they are completely underpowered for that purpose, and usually nicely insulated by towels.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

=============== Just one suggestion......

A high level fan heater is worth considering. Fan heaters give immediate heat but they also leave very little residual heat when switched off. Since bathrooms tend to be used / occupied for specific limited periods rather than continuously a fan heater could be the ideal solution. Subject, of course to safety considerations!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

A wall mounted fan heater will give you very quick warm up times in most moderate sized bathrooms, but it is not as good at maintaining ongoing background warmth.

For keeping the chill off, you have a number of options ranging from a convection tube heater, an electric towel rail, or oil filled convector.

Needless to say any of these will need to be of a type suitable for use in a bathroom, and correctly wired (i.e. permenent wiring from a FCU).

Reply to
John Rumm

Another vote for the wall mounted fan here. Sometimes the noise can be a bit irritating - especially if it`s on a stud wall Unless you want to keep the bathroom heated all the time, it`s the best way to get the temp. up quickly. If you`re the 5 mins in the shower and then out type, it`s probably the most cost effective too, though I haven`t sat and worked out the cost of the electricity v. running a radiator

Reply to
gribblechips