Ballcock valve on cold water storage tank

Cold water storage tank started overflowing very slightly and intermittently the other day. Further investigation reveals an enormous ballcock valve - about 1½ in diameter - connected to a 22 mm input. So in my innocence I went along to my nearest plumbers merchants - PTS to get a new one, given that the old one is 40 years old. They'd heard of nothing like it - the biggest they could come up with was a ¾" BSP fitting. Decided in the end to get a bog standard ½" BSP ballcock valve, plus a 22 mm to 15 mm reducer etc. Then I suddenly realised that the hole in the tank was going to be too big. But I thought even making a smaller hole nearby and somehow sealing the old one was still probably my best option. Now it isn't a metal tank. And it isn't a black plastic tank. It's basically grey, not as soft as black plastic, a sort of composite material. What I'm wanting please are suggestions as to how best to seal the old hole - what sort of patch and glue to use, or do I bolt on a patch with sealant.

Thoughts please.

TIA

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

I supply drop arms - extensions for adjusting the height of the ball - up to

7/8" Whitworth thread, which I understand is used on 3" bore inlet valves. Perhaps you need to try someone like Pipecenter, who deal with bigger systems, rather than a plumbers' merchant.

Could it be GRP? If it is, a sheet of similar thickness GRP attached with epoxy resin would probably be the best option.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It shouldnt need sealing as such, as the overflow pipe will be below the level of the inlet pipe, so no chance of water getting out unless the overflow is blocked, but if that happens, the hole is the least of your worries. Anyway, I'm guessing at an hole of around 30mm? Go to a plumbers merchants, and get a tap hole filler bung. These are used to seal up the hole in sinks when only one tap is fitted, around £3. They come with the upper bit, a seal to ge behind it and the nut to tighten it. You may have to file the hole slightly bigger for it to fit, but it is a pretty good solution to the problem. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Could it be asbestos?

Reply to
PM

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:10:48 +0100, "PM" mused:

Er, lol?

Reply to
Lurch