Back boilers now obsolete?

Hi, Had our back boiler/fire serviced today. I was at work, so the wife asked him about changing the boiler soon, mainly because it is getting old, and the fire is grossly outdated :-(

He told her that back boilers can no longer be fitted, and are no longer being produced.

Can any of you good people confirm this? I still see back boilers anf fires advertised on the baxi website.

Reply to
Mike Gates

Like all these things, there's a glimmer of truth in it, but this should be regarded as something he picked up at the plumber's merchants.

The reality is that as from April of this year, new boilers do have to be of the condensing type (for energy efficiency reasons) unless there are specific reasons why not. New and replacement installations are now subject to the Building Regulations part L1. However, if a replacement is done by a CORGI fitter, he can certify the installation as compliant. Since there are cases where it is not economically practicable to install a condensing boiler (these are normally wall or floor mount) then there is an assessment procedure with points for the type of house, location and practical arrangements.

You can download a document on it from here and work out whether you would be exempt.

looked at this issue for my parents recently who also have a back boiler, and we worked out that they would be exempt because of the boiler location and alternatives not being possible.

In cases of exemption, the fitter can fill in the paperwork and install a non-condensing boiler.

They are certainly still available

as you have experienced, there is misinformation going around. Perhaps the fitter is ignorant or can't be bothered or looked at the installation and thought there would be no possibility of an exemption or even was sharp and thought that he could line up a more substantial job than might otherwise be needed.

Take your pick.

Equally, do consider that the typical back boiler is in the realms of around 50% efficient and condensing boilers achieve about 90%. While I don't subscribe to the scaremongering about gas prices in the short term, it is clear that there is a medium and long term upward trend.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks Andy for a comprehensive reply. I'll download the document and have a read, but TBH, I would be glad to see the back of it.

It's certainly overdue for renewal, and I can see distinct advantages to getting rid of it.

Reply to
Mike Gates

You're very welcome.

If you do decide to go the condensing boiler route, then there are loads of options.

Many of them can work with very long twin pipe flues using 50mm high temperature plastic waste pipe (20m is typical). Mounting can be virtually anywhere, including loft spaces and so on. Certainly don't imagine that you have to go for the classic kitchen wall job if you don't want to.

When you do come to change, it is very worthwhile shopping around for the best combination of quality of work and price. Generally I would avoid British Gas. They charge very high prices and then typically sub out the work to a local independent fitter, so you might as well find a good heating engineer yourself.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You've certainly wetted my appetite here. We have a cupboard in the main bedroom currently housing the cold water tank, which would be an ideal position for a new boiler. I think the flue and drain can be accommodated relatively easily.

Her indoors is already looking for something to fill the hearth with! Plus we would be able to hear the telly when the wind blows, instead of the flue pipe howling. And we can both get rid of our giant slippers that keep our feet out of the draught of the vent:-) (Note the smiley, we don't really have giant slippers....yet).

Yes, I'm well aware of BG, and shall be giving this some serious thought after the festivities.

Thank you again.

Reply to
Mike Gates

Bear in mind that most modern boilers, and as far as I know, all condensing types have a fan assisted flue - i.e. a fan pulls in the combustion air from outside. Many also modulate - i.e. the burn rate (and usually fan speed) vary according to heat load.

While they are not that noisy in most cases, you might not want one in the bedroom.

Reply to
Andy Hall

My mate had a new Baxi non-condensing back boiler fitted couple of months ago, no issues. Fitter ran through list of options, not feasible to fit a condensing bolier so in went an almost direct equivalent to the 1970's Baxi Bermuda. Works fine, uses less gas and heats quicker as water is now pumped.

Mind you my boss has just had is condensing boiler (3rd one in 7 years) replaced with a normal bolier. This is because it is fitted in an out house (by original builders) and a condensing boiler should have never been fitted as the condensate pipe freezes, thus flooding the boiler. Luckily all being done under warranty.

Reply to
Ian_m

I endorse all of the above. It should be noted that back boiler units are so expensive relative to wall hung units that almost all upheaval problems can be over come more cheaply, overall, but converting to a wall mounted installation.

The modern BB units are little changed from the original designs, electronic ignition and controls being the main change. There are even combi versions. Note that the flue liner is nominally if not actually life expired and would need to be replaced as part of the job.

As for the condensing units failing, this is more about incorrect installation than about shortcomings in condensing boiler technology (apart from some really appalling early models.)

Reply to
Ed Sirett