B&Q website

I get the distinct impression the same hacker is despoiling the screwfix site too. No wonder I use toolstation next door as my first point of call.

Reply to
<me9

And they have prices well above trade prices from a trade counter. So a really big markup on what their cost prices are likely to be.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No the HMR&C one is much worse. I don't think they ever remove anything from the HMR&C site so if you search for so bit of factual information you'll find that factual information going back to the turn of the centuary, even if it has been updated/superceeded what ever. The latest information might be on page 3 of the returned matches as well not the first hit on te first page.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

IMHO the B&Q website is there to push their design "services" ... rather than let you look for specific items. I suspect there's a bit of reverse snobbery there, in that they are trying to pull in people who wouldn't be seen dead assembling a flatpack, and for whom tools are what the "workmen" use. There's a distinct upmarket push going on, which is why they are less keen on selling d-i-y items.

Reply to
Jethro

I'd be interested in seeing a solicitor charging true value for the cost of a sheet of paper and the five minutes needed to change the name on a standard form

it's not the cost of the hammer, it's knowing where to hit

Reply to
geoff

Christ. You mean *all* these clowns use Windows?

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , michael adams writes

I agree it's pretty much useless. A possible explanation is one that I got a few years ago when I complained about the awfulness of the Maplins website. The webmaster replied to my email that he had a very limited budget because the bosses of Maplins weren't willing to spend any significant money on the website until they got evidence that it increased sales, so he was pretty much a one-man band. With an awful website nobody bought anything from it. So it was a self-defeating circular argument.

Since then Maplins website has got quite a bit better, to the point where it is actually useful when finding what they charge and whether your local shop has any in stock. Something must have persuaded the directors to change their mind, I've no idea what.

Reply to
Clive Page

LOL I was told by maplin that I couldn't order a potentiometer on the web site because the system could not cope with it also including a couple of washers and locking nut. Thatwas about the time I took my custom elsewhere.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Its not just the website as such, just that whoever designed or maintains it, has no idea about databases and how they work. It's like the work of a 4 year old

Databases work on search terms so the more terms you put in your descriptions the more accurate your searches. If you're setting up your database for your stamp collection say, and you have a stamp with a ship on it then you put the word "ship" in your description. That helps you find all the stamps with er ships on them. Simples.

However On the b&Q page I referred to earlier for hex shafted drill bits - which is what many people would look for

is there any reference to the word "hex", either on the page itself or placed within header tags on the HTML page.

Typically and from memory - a B&Q web page for screwdrivers is more likely to give the colours of the handles, or some other irrelevant detail than the length or composition of the blade, etc.

michael adams

michael adams

Its not just the website as such, just that whoever designed or maintains it, has no idea about databases and how they work. It's like the work of a 4 year old

Databases work on search terms so the more terms you put in your descriptions the more accurate your searches. If you're setting up your database for your stamp collection say, and you have a stamp with a ship on it then you put the word "ship" in your description. That helps you find all the stamps with er ships on them. Simples.

However On the b&Q page I referred to earlier for hex shafted drill bits - which is what many people would look for

is there any reference to the word "hex", either on the page itself or placed within header tags on the HTML page.

I should maybe add here that the only way I knew what to look for on the B&Q website, what they describe as - "quick change drill bits " is because I'd had a wander around B&Q during the week for a gloat - (Toolstation catalogue to hand) I remembered seeing these in B&Q before and as the topic came up recently I decided to check they had them in stock and what they were called.

So the lesson seems to be - if you're looking for something on the B&Q website go to your nearest B&Q shed, find what you're looking for and what they call it - then come home and you can look it up.

Typically and from memory - a B&Q web page for screwdrivers is more likely to give the colours of the handles, or some other irrelevant detail than the length or composition of the blade, etc.

michael adams

michael adams

> nowhere is there any reference to the word "hex", either on the page itself

Insufficient filters is my gripe. Too many results to scroll through and I look elsewhere. As they're KIngfisher, why don't they get the Screwfix database designers to do it for them?

Reply to
stuart noble

Tell them that, and they're just as likely to sack the Screwfix designers, and hand the lot over to the 6 year olds who do B&Q.

michael adams

michael adams

I've done that several times - they don't take much notice do they?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The factor everyone seems to be ignoring here is marking up covers the costs involved should anything go wrong with a part or other fitted item.

If it fails, it is the supplier's responsibility (in this instance TMH) to repair/replace it at his own expense and then claim back from his supplier which all adds to costs.

This is what marking up "should" be about, not making extra profit so, I think TMH is being perfectly fair and would be a fool not to add an amount on to cover out of pocket expenses that are beyond his control.

Reply to
James Noble