B&Q prices

Couple of weeks ago...next to each other on the shelf...

Coke Zero 12 pack at £6. 8 pack, BOGOF at £4.50.

Reply to
Bob Eager

When I wanted some items from Farnells, they also wanted a minimum charge much greater than what I wanted in actual parts cost. I think I got them from CPC.

Reply to
Davey

displaying

And you have to watch the pack sizes. A recent one that has crept in with a overall pack size reduction is McVities plain chocolate digestives. Single pack 332g, big value double pack 2 x 300g.

As to Wickes a lot of research goes into buying habits and for some reason aisle-end stuff attracts more sales and that's without any other promotional offers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Morrisons loo rolls offer 12 for the price of 10. The 4-packs have 240 sheets/roll, the 12-pack has 220 s/r. 12x20=240, so actually 11 for 10.

Reply to
PeterC

And in various other down-market outlets 6 for £1.59!

Often when seeing some of the adverts on TV for one of the 4 major supermarkets do I realise that I've paid a lot less for the same (branded) item that they are plugging on their 2 for 1 offers?

Reply to
alan

Which is only 1.6p less per can. Given the fuel cost in getting to the downmarket outlet....

Reply to
Bob Eager

My downmarket outlet is my closest supermarket! It also happens to have the best car park. So I have a tendency to go there first and only elsewhere if necessary.

However, why anyone would buy Coke Zero... (Or, since adulthood, any Coke at all.)

Reply to
polygonum

What size sheets? That varies as well...

That looks like one for the ASA as the rolls are not the same. It certainly appears that the "12 for 10" is misleading in that it uses the "roll" as a unit in the price comparison description/advertising. Not sure of the wording on the biscuits but don't think the same could apply there as there isn't the direct linked price comparision.

Not that the supermarket price of loo roll bothers us, we get that from Costco. Kirkland Triple Velvet 12 x 4 packs £16.31 inc VAT (34p/roll, 260 triple ply sheets/roll).

Does anybody else find it a bit strange that a number of chaps in here intimately know the pricing of groceries and the dodgey pricing practices the supermarkets induldge in? I do the shopping but most of the other customers are women.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well your a "Comestible Procurement Executive" Dave .. thats why;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

The same - I'm fussy about where I - oh, never mind.

Lucky you. I don't get through an excessive amount but my ex's chap uses 3 or 4 a week and she's never found out how or why.

TMH has educated us to keep an eye on prices. He's the expert on the price of a screw, after all.

Reply to
PeterC

Since I buy large quantities of them - and then give them away. :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But it doesn't go off. If you are within sensible distance of CostCo you can get stuff at below supermarket "offer" prices without much bother but you do have to know the supermarket prices and be prepared for large quantities. Like rice in 20 kg sacks (90p/kg), pasta in 3 kg units (6 x 500g bags £1.60/kg). Long shelf life stuff and decent quality not the crap supermarket "value" range quality.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Only when fixing mirrors at the local knocking shop ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Would be good if this were a household getting through the quantities (and had some one who could cook at all), but that much bogroll would last me for a year or more.

Reply to
PeterC

Don't know how to cook? Or unable to cook to physical/mental limitations? Gawd help us if the former...

Bog roll doesn't go off niether does rice or pasta. The pasta bought last month has a BBE of 4 Apr 2016. There might be a problem in recouping the £25/year membership fee if you only go once or twice a year. We go every couple of months and generaly save £25 over supermarket prices each time on a spend of about £100.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We (there are only 2 of us) went for the first time a few weeks ago as "guest" of a friend. I have every intention of joining - we saved more than the £25 fee on that one visit.

Reply to
Huge

I go every three months and spend about £500. Definitely worth it even though it's a way away.

Reply to
Bob Eager

and so he should...

Comprehension not your strong point i take it.

Its not usually worth accounting for small items on small jobs like that...

Reply to
John Rumm

There are some things I could not screw regardless of the amount of money or alcohol involved

ARW

How about this one?

Steve Firth