B&Q Performance Pro portable table saw.

Popped into the local B&Q today and found them selling their Performance Pro 10" portable table saw for a tad under £50 (claimed £75 off). On top of this it's a 10% discount weekend, so it seemed rather rude not to buy one at £45.

Now I'm not expecting miracles at this price - I've bought cheap power tools (e.g. Wickes (Silverline?) 1650 1/2" router - ha-ha!!) and wished I hadn't, but i've got a few little jobs to do where a table saw might be useful so here we go.

So, have I bought a donkey, or with a little careful setting up can it be useful? Hints/ tips etc? I can already see the guide is only clamped at one end so is not reliably exactly square, and a few test cuts show the blade bends off vertical quite easily so it don't look too good!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Hughes

Peter Hughes wrote: || Popped into the local B&Q today and found them selling their || Performance Pro 10" portable table saw for a tad under £50 (claimed || £75 off). On top of this it's a 10% discount weekend, so it seemed || rather rude not to buy one at £45.

Hi Peter

If it's the one with wheels on one set of legs,

it's almost certainly made by Ryobi, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Add one of these

bizarrely will cost as much as the saw and you are in business. Can't recommend this fence upgrade too highly - completely transformed my Charnwood table saw.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

You would have been better off being rude.

If there is a way to fasten the fence at both ends or replace it with a better one, then you might be able to address that issue.

A decent blade is almost always an improvement but could cost more than the saw.

Reply to
Andy Hall

replying to david lang, Liam797 wrote: Hi Peter, late to the party, which after market product did you use, the link is down. Thanks, Liam

Reply to
Liam797

Ater 15 years I expect the model of saw is no longer sold & Peter has long gone. What do you reckon?

Reply to
tabbypurr

Do B&Q still badge their own brand Performance Power? Not a name that inspired confidence anyway. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have found their products pretty good. I have recently had a loss of power and opened it up to find the box housing the on off button and reset. Chocked with sawdust on reassembly shouldhave marked the connections Iam reluctant to take A chance so was looking for a manual if anyone can help? Thanks

Reply to
brian douglas

Another post thread dated 15 years ago!

Reply to
alan_m

Well, yes. Must be ancient if they think B&Q PP stuff pretty good.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News