B&Q - are they MFI?

I see our "local" (big) B&Q has now axed large areas "in store" into which appears to be going what I call MFI type stuff. Maybe they are kits to be assembled but a long way from the bit n pieces that diy's value (well I do anyway). They plumbing section is now reduced to a very meager level and no doubt the other section will go the same way. At the mo at least tools are being left alone.

Reply to
dave

Its part of a trend to move the operation to more profitable lines. Hence more homewares, and less hairy arsed builders in case they scare of the women folk.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm sure that was discussed on here a while back. Shortly there will be no large selection of screws bolts etc and more homewares. Our local one has TV's etc in it now.

Reply to
WhoDunnit

Aren't B&Q and Screwfix both owned by Kingfisher? So as Screwfix opens more "trade counters" more B&Q space can be put to other use.

Reply to
ZeitGeist

Yes Kingfisher own B&Q, Castorama, Brico D=E9p=F4t, Hornbach, Ko=E7tas, = Screwfix and Trade Depot.

It would certainly make sense, I hope that Screwfix get around to openin= g a "trade counter" a bit nearer than the current 50 miles. Carlisle, Hexh= am or Penrith would be nice.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

50% off a lot of "professional" tools at my local B&Q.
Reply to
dennis

Hmm. I guess I can live with that, although Screwfix is slightly further away than my nearest B&Q.

I haven't been to a Screwfix "trade counter" before. Wossit like compared to B&Q? Must admit I don't always go marching in with a list of part numbers, but poke around and see what might do the job. "Trade counter" doesn't sound all that amenable to that.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Trade counter is much like argos - catalogues to browse, little slips to fill in, and a few bits and bobs on display. Queue up, pay and then collect...

(or queue up, try to pay, reselect the bits out of stock, and try again, repeat until you have enough of what you need or you can't be arsed!) ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Trade counters are rather like Argos, you look in the catalouge, write the part numbers on a list & hand it in. They take your money, a printed invoice bears a collection number, your goods arrive at the collection point.

Nothing is on display save a few products on special offer. Nothing to poke around other than the catalouge. Anything on your list not in stock can be ordered & will be available after 10am the next day. You can ring to ask if items are in stock.

Last time I was in there a bloke asked if he could see something before he bought it, they obliged.

I've found the stock levels very good, the service fast, the staff friendly & helpful.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Happens regularly at mine. Usually see 2 or 3 guys crowded around something to see if it will actually fit!!

Reply to
Stuart Barrie

I've had an almost 100% success rate at my local SF depot, quick service, rarely out of stock even on stuff you wouldn't think they would keep in a trade counter.

Is yours run by Essex girls John? :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My nearest one - in Croydon - can be very busy and doesn't have enough car parking. The ordering system seems to be the slow part - once that's over the parts arrive quite quickly. Rather the reverse of Argos. But very pleasant and helpfull staff.

What they need is an online ordering and collect service and terminals 'in store' where you order yourself - like Argos.

I wonder if they use the same software/hardware as B&Q - their self service checkouts are the pits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ours is quite quick, and not usually that busy (not been open long). There are some items they just don't carry though (gloves for example), and others they seem to have limited stock of. I was trying to buy a multi purpose diamond disc the other day, and none of the ones in the catalogue were in stock.

Mostly Essex boys and a girl from somewhere oop north by the sounds of it.

(although one Essex sounding lass did appear from the wearhouse the other day, and addressed one of the older chaps behind the counter as "Dad" - I think that was probably a genuine family relationship rather than me not being familiar with the way kids speak! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Swindon branch usually manages about 9 out 10 items, usually the item I want the most, and sadly not an Essex girl in sight

Reply to
Chewbacca