B&D SandStorm - Pile of Crap!

Hello All

Anyone have a B&D Sandstorm errr sander? I am now on my third one which is just about to be taken back as its bust again. Just curious to see if anyone else is experiencing any problems with them or if it's just me! Any other recommendation for sanders or are they all (in the =A340-=A350 price range) pretty much prone to failure. I think I'll go for a model exchange this time!!!

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

Bosch PEX 400. Superb. I've put many, many hours on mine (on my 5th box of discs, there are 50 discs in a box).

Reply to
Grunff

I will second that... got one for christmas, impressive it is as well. Better finish than an orbital, same sort of waste removal speed as a belt sander.

Reply to
John Rumm

I just treat all their sanders as a hire. It costs me petrol to go and change it but the sander comes for free :-)

Reply to
Mike

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it ? Most of our local places stopped stocking Bosch some time ago so apart from a few rip-off places I'm stuck with a phone order to somewhere I've never heard of.

Reply to
Mike

For the sander, or the discs? The sander was around £50 (either a couple of pounds under or over). The discs I get from Axminster (and replacement backing pads too).

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks. Think I want one so looks like by Screwfix boycott is over. Wonder which farm will get it this time ?

Reply to
Mike

I avoided ordering from them for 3 months, while they fixed the worst of the problems. While I can't say they are fully back to normal, they're almost there. The last couple of orders have been fine.

Reply to
Grunff

54.97 (cheaper than either of these, AND free postage (not sure if the above do)), from Amazon...!
Reply to
Bob Eager

Aaghhhh. The one place worse than Screwfix. The insist on using their own addresses generated by the postcode, won't include delivery instructions or contact number on the parcel and their deliveries come by Securicor Omega who in a recent phone call refused to recognise the existance of our whole parish ! Had to have it delivered to the wife's workplace.

Reply to
Mike

I got a PEX 270 Ae on special in B&Q a couple of months ago. I love it.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Never had ANY problems. This one came by ParcelForce, within two days! but then I don't live on a farm...I do take your point.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I *begged* Amazon to use Parcelforce as they are the one company who understand how to read a rural map to find farms but was told that Securicor are their delivery agent in my area :-( Never again.

Many of the others actually use a local small independent company who call at all of their depots each morning to collect the 'out of the way' parcels so that the journeys are consolidated but Securicor don't do this.

Reply to
Mike

Actually, they (Amazon) are not very consistent in who they use. I once ordered a book, and the checkout page said 'first class post'. They sent it ParcelForce. This was unfortunate as I had addressed it to my PO box (as I'm never in when the postman calls). ParcelForce run (ran?) their own PO boxes.

The ParcelForce driver had gumption aplenty. He called at the local Royal Mail delivery office to ask for the house address. Even better, the guy in the RM office (I know him well) offered to take the parcel and put it in my PO box (I then collected it next day).

Since then, I send all Amazon stuff to work (front desk happily accepted my circular saw last week!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Pity my front desk is manned by the bull :-)

Reply to
Mike

And now I tend to check (especially for the smaller order) if toolstation is cheaper, especially as they offer free delivery.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I would also say that Screwfix is back to 90% of what it was, although its just taken them 3 attempts to deliver me the correct SWA gland kit that I ordered.

Anyone want any "surplus to requirements" SWA gland kits?? ;-)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Let's be honest, nobody manages 100% but for a company supplying the trade over 99% is essential. I'm not a professional so can usually absorb the delays but I imagine some here find this costing them money.

Are Toolstation based bear where Screwfix used to be by any chance ?

Reply to
Mike

If by "near" you mean the west country, then yes. They were actually started by the same bunch who started screwfix.

Reply to
Grunff