B&D KA110E 2in1 sander - problem

Hi,

this sander has started to mis-behave.

Instead of running smoothly (if a sander can be said to run smoothly) the speed is variable and it sounds generally rough.

I have taken it apart and there seems to be no obvious visible problem, and the brushes still seem to be of a reasonable length.

The speed variation gives the impression of 'misfiring' - it speeds up, misses a bit, speeds up again.

It does this on all speed settings.

Anyone had/solved this problem?

These days I guess having B&D tools serviced is not cost effective - even years ago they used to prefer to trade them in against new at the service centres.

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Possible break in the mains lead or loose terminal somewhere or dodgy switch?

sPoNiX

Reply to
S P O N I X

  1. Broken cable, most likely close to where the cable enters the handle.
  2. Faulty speed controller.

  1. If there is a great deal of sparking on the commutator when the problem occurs, check that the brushes are not sticking in their holders. If they might be, rub the sides of the brushes down a little on fine sand paper.

Run the unit held firmly in one spot, then try waggling the cable about; operating the switch; thumping the sander.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Quite probably a break in the flex, close to the appliance inlet. Quite often my drill's will do this. It could be worn\dirty commutator\brushes, I had a cheap one that did that, just turned out to be dust clogging up the insides. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

loose connection, worn down motor brushes, or burnt switch contacts.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton