AutoCAD drawings.

Page 2 of 2
As .dwg is the main CAD file standard, then most if not all CAD software can import dwg files for editing.
However, Autodesk have changed the dwg standard a few times and so there may be some compatability issues - a 2004 dwg will not open in Autocad 3.3 or earlier for instance.
Also layers may not import correctly.
There are shareware, and 30 day trials available of many CAD programs.
dg
snipped-for-privacy@alcatel.co.uk (Rick) wrote in message

On 7 Nov 2003 08:05:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@alcatel.co.uk (Rick) wrote:

This doesn't really assist you, but I'm responding to comments made on this thread about TurboCad etc.
I was recently looking for a drawing package, and was very put off by the cost of most of them.
I then found DeltaCad - http://www.deltacad.com . I was so impressed with it for 50 bucks that I immediately bought a licensed copy.
I have very little experience with drawing packages so I'm in no position to compare one with t'other. The slight negatives I feel for DeltaCad relate to what appears to be a slightly clunky user interface. I may be doing it a dis-service here, maybe other drawing packages are no different. But the price tag was very attractive for me.
PoP
There are free viewers available from Autodesk - AutoDesk Express Viewer is the latest and Voloview Express versions 1 and 2 were its predecessor - they are about a 20MB download, and work as an Active X insert to Internet Explorer. They allow you to turn layers on and off, zoom etc.
Trev
(Rick) wrote:

(Rick) wrote:

Anyone know what package DPS use at: http://www.heatweb.com
Their graphics are quite smart.
Also anyone know of a package that does good mechanical drawings, pipework, with pre defined valves etc, house plans etc? Having to draw every component and store it in library for future use is painful.

You can download for free a version of pro/desktop a top end 3D solid modeller from
http://www.ptc.com/community/free_downloads.htm
This will allow you to open ACAD drawings as well as create 3D designs
Cheers,
Kev