Audio spirit level?

There used to be an audio spirit level made, but it seems to have been discontinued, anyone seen anything like that about recently? I think the idea is that there are two tones which toggle as you tilt it past level. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A quick Google shows the only one available at present seems to be the

Kaiser Action Level - Digital Spirit Level With Sound

which costs ?40.70 from Amazon. Slightly less from other sellers.

( Not sure if links are any use or not.)

These are primarily designed for use with cameras and fit into the hot shoe. They're quite bulky looking. The sound feature is a recent addition.

This is from Kaiser's own website

A ?sound? version of ?Action Level?, the digital spirit level from Kaiser Fototechnik, has just been introduced by Kaiser. In addition to five coloured LEDs indicating the level of the camera, there are different beep sounds that can be connected to the LED signalling system thus providing an audio-visual control of the level.

Quite why anyone would need five different levels in a spirit level, even for as camera is anyone's guess. Dead level, and a programmable angle maybe for repeat shots.

michael adams

michael adams

Smartphone app...?

Reply to
Adrian

There's an android app called Power Bubble that does this - I have just tried it but it only goes "beep" when you are almost bang on level.

However, I bet there might be an app that has a progressive tone.

I honestly do not know if a smartphone is usable by a blind person, but I'm not going to assume it isn't :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Bit difficult for a blind person to use.

Reply to
The Other John

No, not really. There's plenty of established accessibility apps and tools for smartphones.

Reply to
Adrian

Looks like I was right in not assuming!

Reply to
Tim Watts

As a follow-up to the Kaiser Action Level I've found a purpose made Audible Spirit Level specifically made for blind users which costs ?32.25

It's described as follows on the emptech website.

While a phone call to any of the 3 suppliers listed, should confirm whether this item is still available.

Purpose: Developed for those who are blind or have visual difficulties. It is small and compact with a carry case and is easy to use. Suitable for use in workshops and for DIY.

Features: Surfaces can be checked on the vertical or horizontal plane. There is a conventional liquid spirit levels as well as green and red LED lights plus audible tones if required. No tone is made is the surface is level but a high tone indicates the left side is too high and a low for the right side being too high. At one end of the spirit level there is an screw adjustable ruler with small markings for centimetres or inches. This ruler can also act as an angle when tightened into place. The device can be used on rounded objects with a groove at the bottom. Powered by standard PP3 9v Alkaline battery. Price given for the item supplied with batteries

Indicative Price: ?32.25

(This item may be VAT exempt for qualifying purchasers).

Three suppliers are given for this product

1

Company: Cobolt Systems Ltd Web address:

Address: The Old Mill House, Mill Road Reedham City / Town: Norwich County: Norfolk Post / Zip Code: NR13 3TL Country: UK Phone: 01493 700172 Fax: 01493 701037

2

Company: Cragside AccessABILITY Ltd. (AccessABLE World.com) Web address:

Address: The Cragside Suite, International House, Cray Avenue City / Town: Orpington County: Kent Post / Zip Code: BR5 3RY Country: UK Minicom: 0870 321 7097 Phone: 0870 321 7099 Fax: 0870 3217098

3

Company: IC VISION LTD (SW Retail Ltd) Web address:

Address: PO BOX 4787 County: Sheffield Post / Zip Code: S35 5BW Country: UK Phone: 01226 762513 Fax: 01226 762528

michael adams

michael adams

600mm long £114.99

You can (could?) also get a compact standalone level around 200mm long - the equivalent of the active part of the Bosch supplied unit. Bought mine many years ago, can't recall the supplier but they were UK based. No idea of a current supplier.

The audible is single beep as the level passes through zero, repeated beep at zero. The buttons are easily located by feel.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Does that include talking icons? That would be useful for sight impaired people.

Reply to
The Other John

I don't have a smart phone, but if I did I'd most certainly not trust that any flat part of the phone was calibrated to be level. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well that depends on whether the voice will work on the app. The Apple ones are a bit better, but not all use voice over and there is currently a pressure group trying to make apple make approval only for those that are usable with voice over. As for Android, its very hit and miss I understand. They now have a voice but the accessibility apis are not all the same, open source do what you like territory! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I just don't need a smart phone. I really have no use for the bits over and above a talking phone! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think they work slightly differently to the sighted things. The big issue is typing on them. Most blind people I know never do or use an external keyboard connected by Blue tooth. I'm told the next generation of displays will have some kind of vibrating or electrostatic feedback to help, but this sounds a bit like a gimmick to me.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

PS, I'll look at the Amazon one, but last time I tried they told me it was not available. Incidentally, turn voice over on on the I phone and I think your icons will talk to you. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Samsung Galaxys are quite good, being fairly square...

I've actually used mine for measuring rafter angles!

Reply to
Tim Watts