Spirit Levels - was how level is level

Hello again

Well, I got the top man from the tiling firm around to look at my ceramic floor and to ask him to rip it up and relay it. Not surprisingly he went to great lengths to persuade me that the job is acceptable and the bottom line is that he wants me to pay the cost of removing and relaying the floor. I also spoke to our local Trading Standards office who were amazingly helpful - I must be over-cynical about these things. Basically, TS say that the floor has to be laid "to our liking" subject to any reasonable constraints - you can't insist on a square circle. If a compromise or any choices have to be made then the onus is on the trader to consult with the customer before proceding.

Anyway, the reason for posting is to ask about spirit levels. One of the tricks that the tiler tried was to go downstairs and measure the levelness of the ceiling below the bathroom floor. He argued that this would be parallel to the underlying floor since both were nailed to the same joists. To measure the ceiling he took my spirit level and applied the flat face opposite the phial/vial to the ceiling and voila, the bubble was way off centre thus proving that the joists were far from level. The fault was clearly with the joists. This almost fooled me until I realised that my spirit level has a curved tube which can only be used in the correct orientation - using it upside down will inevitably cause the bubble to go to one end or the other. I pointed this out and the guy backed off saying that he wasn't sure which type of spirit level I had but his could be used either way up.

So, can some spirit levels be used upside down or is this just more bulls**t

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It;s BS.

You could reasonably use the spirit level the right way up, but it's irrelevant.

The tiler should have made sure that the fllor was level in the first place or ensured that you were aware that i wasn't

I assume that you haven't paid?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes - think of the vial as being shaped a little like a rugby ball, rather than a curved tube.

P.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Total BS! As you say, a spirit level has a curved tube (vial). The bubble goes to the highest point - which is in the middle when on a level surface. But turn it upside down, and the ends are higher than the middle - so it will go to one end or other if put on a level surface.

Roger Mills

Mine works either way

Reply to
Steve Walker

Jeff formulated on Thursday :

The bubble tube has a deliberate slight curve in it. How slight depends on the intended accuracy of the level. A rough and ready level will have a tighter curve in it, a precision one a very slight curve.

Most levels will not work with any accuracy upside down, but as the top and bottom face of most common levels are flat and parallel - there is no reason why it cannot be used the right way up, but with the opposite face to the ceiling.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Jeff explained :

That is true and it is easy to check - If the bubble can be made to stay in the middle irrespective of which way up it is, then it can be used either way up. With the level upside down, if the bubble always goes to one end or the other then it cannot be used upside down.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes; even my cheapo Do-It-All long level can be used either way up. The tube bulges so that there is a high spot whichever way up you hold it. However, they are usually less accurate when use the wrong way up. Mine main one is calibrated to an accuracy of ±0.029° the right way up but only ±0.043° when used upside-down.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Mine go either way, except I've got one or two old wooden ones which only work one way.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

on 27/03/2008, Jeff supposed :

You have the right to expect what a reasonable person would consider to be a workman like job. You cannot expect the floor to be laid accurate to a fraction of a mm, but you should expect a reasonable accuracy of finish. If there were some reason why this could not be achieved then they should have discussed the problem with you before proceeding.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Nail, hit, head. Communication is the answer.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My spirit level has parallel faces, so can be used underneath a surface, the right way up. Is yours the same? If so, when you put it under the ceiling, is it level, or does it show the same fall as the floor above? He may or may not have used your spirit level correctly, but it doesn't necessarily sound like a "trick" - more an attempt to establish whether it's reasonable for him to do a load of extra work.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Reply to
Derek Geldard

No it isn't.. some cheap levels have bent vials and they only work one way. Better ones have vials that are ground/moulded to be bigger in the center and they work any way round. I haven't seen one with bent vials for years BTW not even on the 99p screwfix levels.

Reply to
dennis

Reply to
dennis

THAT is pure BS.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

i'm a beginner in DIY and havnt understood why you want a level floor?

if its a bathroom or a toilet surely you want a slightly sloping floor, so any spilt water will go in one direction.

I've got a toilet which leaked a bit over the years and dampened over the fuseboxes and a joist.

I'm planning on fitting a sloping plywood floor but whether to have one piece sloping towards one corner or four triangles sloping towards one point I havnt yet decided.

what does the panel recommend?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Sorry, don't know where the body of my previous Msg went. Agent must have farted.

I was intending to say that the floors on our local Asda and Sainsbury's are nothing like flat. I used to blame the trolleys but I've found out they have loads of humps and trolleys perdhed on the sloping sides will run away (downhill) on their own.

Pertinent maybe in deciding what's a "reasonable" standard a competant workman can be expected to achieve.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Big assumption that the ceiling and floor are attached to the same joists without investigating what is actually in the void.

In the flat I had the ceiling of the flat below was attached to joists running at 90 deg to the joists supporting my floor, probably for sound insulation reasons. I can't remember if they were isolated from each other either with an air gap or with pads at the cross points.

See other posts, some can some can't. It's prettty damn obvious if it can't. The bubble will shoot off to either end and not sit in the middle on one that can't.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is the problem that the floor slopes slightly from one side to another (I don't think you'd notice as much as an inch in that case, and it might not be his fault) or that he's laid it with lumps and bumps all over it? (which would show, and is probably his fault)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ