Armoured Cat5 - where to get?

Page 2 of 2

Twisted-pair ethernet is isolated to 2kV.

Taken care of in the cable.

This is the only bit I have a problem with. If STP (shielded twisted pair) cable is used, this forms a direct earth connection between the house and office which could carry a current flow. This current could be significant depending on whether the OP has exported his house earth or used a TT installation for his office.
I'd perhaps only earth one end of STP, or stick with UTP.
--
A. Top posters.
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:30:27 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Flexible conduit? Kopflex sort of thing? It's expensive, but pretty tough - spiral wound overlapping steel with a pvc covering.
Or even flexible plastic conduit.
Depends how far the run is. My duct is 100mm plastic sewer pipe. But if I was running one or two cat 5 cables over 10 yards I would probably use flexible plastic conduit.
What about this stuff.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BHEF20.html

Lawrence
usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk
Grunff wrote:

Why armoured? There is some poit to armouring mains, where digging through it might be dangerous, but with cat 5, its conventional to put it in plastic pipe instead...

Nowhere at sensible prices - but a coil of 10mm copper microbore heating tube, some thin nylon line and normal Cat 5 makes a good substitute.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Peter Parry wrote:

magnets - an old disk drive one on the inside perhaps.
--
Chris
-----

of sewing cotton; tie fishing line to cotton if a longer run; apply end of vac to microbore/pipe/ducting. Works surprisingly well, though I've never tried it in anything as tiny as microbore; but for 20mm conduit and larger corrugated ducting, it worked first time for me (in these cases using thin polyprop string as the draw wire).
HTH, Stefek
snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:

Couldn't get blow to work in a 40m run I had through 20mm flexible (all pvc) stuff, I ended up using magnets on that - hence my suggestion, also the kit is portable and cheap.
--
Chris
-----

Easy, get a 2l PET drink bottle and feed the thread in (tie a washer on the end first). On the other end tie a few knots so its a bit smaller than the pipe bore and feed that end into the pipe. With the pipe as straight as possible tape the bottle neck onto the pipe. Make a hole in the bottle to take a compressed air feed (spare tyre will do as an air source) and pressurise the whole lot. The nylon cord will easily go down the tube. The most I've managed was nearly 100m (using spooled cord) although that had to be done twice - the second time after securing the washer on the end :-).
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

http://www.netnimble.net/sheiloutcat.html doesn't look that meaty, but the 'specifications' link doc says it's suitable for direct burial. The main site is in the states, but he'll sell by the foot :-), might help.
--
fred

fred wrote:

Thanks fred - I'd already found that one and a similar product from RS. But I wouldn't personally like to bury that without further protection, so I ruled it out.
It's looking increasingly likely that I'll have to use some conduit (I've got plenty of spare 25mm MDPE, so that's probably going to be it).
--
Grunff

cables. Might be pricey but I've used them for off the shelf cables and they've been great. Based in Herts just off the M25. Tim.
Tim Jenkins wrote:

Bingo! <http://www.fscables.com/tab-p25.htm?
Many thanks Tim, exactly what I'm looking for.
--
Grunff

fred

fred wrote:

I certainly will do.
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

800 for 50m.
By the way - FS - incredibly helpful people, definitely bookmarked.
--
Grunff (goes to find mdpe pipe)

< -l-o-n-g- -w-h-i-s-t-l-e- > That's supply & demand for ya I s'pose . . . .

--
fred