Armoured Cat5 - where to get?

Try FS Cables

- they offer a service of custom built cables. Might be pricey but I've used them for off the shelf cables and they've been great. Based in Herts just off the M25. Tim.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

Bingo!

Many thanks Tim, exactly what I'm looking for.

Reply to
Grunff

Let us know how much ;-)

Reply to
fred

I certainly will do.

Reply to
Grunff

Nah. Suck, or blow: a bit of cotton wool or similar on the end of a bit of sewing cotton; tie fishing line to cotton if a longer run; apply end of vac to microbore/pipe/ducting. Works surprisingly well, though I've never tried it in anything as tiny as microbore; but for 20mm conduit and larger corrugated ducting, it worked first time for me (in these cases using thin polyprop string as the draw wire).

HTH, Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

Why armoured? There is some poit to armouring mains, where digging through it might be dangerous, but with cat 5, its conventional to put it in plastic pipe instead...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Having read what the situation is, I'd say fiber too.

Its not that expensive, and not too hard to terminate to the sort of standard needed for relaible 50m transmission.

Ty Black Box or betterbox for various interface units.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Use mains water pipe as ducting. Thats pretty much what e.g. BT do when running twisted pair around the place. Leave a string in and you can pull fibre throughh later..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Easy, get a 2l PET drink bottle and feed the thread in (tie a washer on the end first). On the other end tie a few knots so its a bit smaller than the pipe bore and feed that end into the pipe. With the pipe as straight as possible tape the bottle neck onto the pipe. Make a hole in the bottle to take a compressed air feed (spare tyre will do as an air source) and pressurise the whole lot. The nylon cord will easily go down the tube. The most I've managed was nearly

100m (using spooled cord) although that had to be done twice - the second time after securing the washer on the end :-).
Reply to
Peter Parry

£800 for 50m.

By the way - FS - incredibly helpful people, definitely bookmarked.

Reply to
Grunff

In article , Phil writes

Twisted-pair ethernet is isolated to 2kV.

Taken care of in the cable.

This is the only bit I have a problem with. If STP (shielded twisted pair) cable is used, this forms a direct earth connection between the house and office which could carry a current flow. This current could be significant depending on whether the OP has exported his house earth or used a TT installation for his office.

I'd perhaps only earth one end of STP, or stick with UTP.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Flexible conduit? Kopflex sort of thing? It's expensive, but pretty tough - spiral wound overlapping steel with a pvc covering.

Reply to
Steve Walker

In article , fred writes

Don't forget the shielding used in STP cable.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

< -l-o-n-g- -w-h-i-s-t-l-e- > That's supply & demand for ya I s'pose . . . .
Reply to
fred

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

Good reason to stick with UTP then ;-)

Reply to
fred

Couldn't get blow to work in a 40m run I had through 20mm flexible (all pvc) stuff, I ended up using magnets on that - hence my suggestion, also the kit is portable and cheap.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Except that is blue for water. There is a standard colour code for buried services, I think it's probably best to stick with it.

Unless it's a pretty straight run and large diameter pipe I doubt you could pull another cable in. Use the the old CAT5 to pull the new fibre in, assuming that there are no inaccesable bends...

I put a single CAT5 down just 10m of flexable plasitic conduit this summer and unless the conduit was pretty straight there was no way the cable was going to go through.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice