Armoured Cat5 - where to get?

Subject says it all - wehere can I get some armoured Cat5?

TIA

Reply to
Grunff

Steel conduit and normal Cat5?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Well, that's the fallback, but given the shape of the trench armoured would be much nicer + easier.

I know it exists, I just can't find a supplier.

Reply to
Grunff

Point to point wireless might be cheaper than laying a trench. However, if you already have the trench for other services, then this is less attractive. I've still never come across armoured Cat5. Armoured telephone cable is easy enough to find. If you do find armoured Cat5, let everyone know, it could be very useful.

What sort of run is this? Have you considered using optical fibre? This might be good for long runs, especially when you start getting serious mismatches in earth potential. You can get media converters for around 90 quid nowadays. It is excellent for long runs in noisy environments, but serious overkill to run it 10m to your shed.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Trench is already dug for other services, wireless ruled out for several reasons.

I'm sure I've seen the stuff, but I can't think where.

It's about 50m between house + office. I did think about fibre, but can't really think of enough advantages to justify it.

Reply to
Grunff

Nowhere at sensible prices - but a coil of 10mm copper microbore heating tube, some thin nylon line and normal Cat 5 makes a good substitute.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Armoured off-the shelf is hard to come by but companies can armour it for you, however for 50m the cost would most likely be too much to justify.

Electrical isolation - any problems in one building won't take out the system in the other. Noise immunity. Avoids problems caused by differing earth potentials in different buildings. It's probably cheaper than getting some twisted pair armoured. Fast Ethernet today, gigabit tomorrow - fibre will take it all whereas Cat

5e just might.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Yes, but I'd still want the fibre to be armoured! So even if I decide to use fibre, it's back to square one.

Reply to
Grunff

Don't discount the electrical benefits of using fibre, though. You could have real problems on Cat5 over 50m with incompatible voltage levels that might interact with the building earthing arrangements, especially with TT earthing, which would be recommended for such building separation. Fibre would overcome this as it doesn't use voltage.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You have to be careful with the differing earths, this can cause probelsm in teh hubs/switches at either end.

If you really must use cat 5 how about some water /hose pipe and just push the standard cat5 through that?

ChrisJ

Reply to
ChrisJ

Yes, using conduit of some sort is certainly an option, but steel wire armoured cable, like my mains and phone cables, would be preferable.

It's a shame that there don't appear to be any suppliers for the stuff. Armoured mains and phone are easy and cheap to obtain, cat5 is non-existent.

Reply to
Grunff

Point taken - but do you know any suppliers or armoured fibre?

;-)

Reply to
Grunff

Or even flexible plastic conduit.

Depends how far the run is. My duct is 100mm plastic sewer pipe. But if I was running one or two cat 5 cables over 10 yards I would probably use flexible plastic conduit.

What about this stuff.

Christian McArdle wrote:

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Reply to
Lawrence

If it's for Cat 5 ethernet, I'm pretty sure the cable is isolated at both ends, i.e. both the NIC and hub use isolating transformers on the cable pairs. Other applications don't necessarily (like ISDN).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , ChrisJ writes

No help to Grunff, but the pairs are transformer isolated to 1500Vac, so I don't see a problem with differing earths.

Reply to
fred

In article , Grunff writes

Searching for 'outdoor' and 'CAT5' gets a few hits:

doesn't look that meaty, but the 'specifications' link doc says it's suitable for direct burial. The main site is in the states, but he'll sell by the foot :-), might help.

Reply to
fred

That's a lot of isolation! So it's OK, provided you use it for Ethernet. Other services may vary, presumably.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks fred - I'd already found that one and a similar product from RS. But I wouldn't personally like to bury that without further protection, so I ruled it out.

It's looking increasingly likely that I'll have to use some conduit (I've got plenty of spare 25mm MDPE, so that's probably going to be it).

Reply to
Grunff

Agreed. Also avoids the risk of lightning strikes inducing pd in the ground and destroying the NICs. Surely 802.11x is the way to go for this application, but OP doesn't want this, so I agree - fibre is the best bet. A good place to check out products is

John

Getting the nylon through the microbore could be interesting - try magnets - an old disk drive one on the inside perhaps.

Reply to
Chris Hodges