Are the new crop of Li-ion battery tools inherently dangerous?

I've noticed that more and more Li-ion tools are being made available, but given the careful charging and handling requirements of the batteries are these going to be dangerous for site or DIY use?

There are many examples of Li-ion batteries exploding and injuring users. And it is recommended that these batteries are not left unattended when charging.

As these batteries are more likely to be knocked and sustain unnoticed damage, I wondered if they can be trusted?

dg

Reply to
dg

There is nothing inherently more dangerous about Li-ion or Li-poly than NiCd and NiMH.

Many of the problems that have hit the news have been due to manufacturing faults. Because the cells in these batteries are different from the standard cylindrical configuration, manufacturers have had to re-tool in order to manufacture them. This is the first major re-tool in a very long time, and it's just taken a bit of time to iron out some difficulties.

The advantages of Li-ion are huge - much higher power density, no heavy metal content, great charge-discharge characteristics, the list goes on.

For a glimpse of what can be done with Li-ion, take a look at this:

Grunff

best!"

Pity we never invented the metric system isn't it. Pity someone never told their advertisers. I would never consider looking seriously at an ad that gave the specs in French. Nothing against the French of course.

But if the morons overlooked the fact that we drive miles in this country and still consume fuel by the gallon despite what the arses in government want us to do, I might be looking at a car designed to travel on the wrong side of the street for my tastes.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

No. The problem is specific to laptop batteries, where extra thin separators are used to squeeze more capacity into a small space.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It does give the fuel consumption as 80 mpg. And where do you buy fuel by the gallon these days. I measure my fuel consumption in miles/litre.

Reply to
dcbwhaley

Very impressive, would love to see it go :)

My only worry is there are NO mechanical brake. Fully reliant on software/hardware for the regen braking!!!!

Reply to
Tim Morley

Don't worry about that..... Grunff wrote the software. He's very good :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

Not just laptops. Model aeroplanes have had a few go pop, too.

Reply to
Guy King

And the ones for cameras, phones and small torches too (Cr123). I understood it was the technology not the actual design which is sensitive.

I've even read of problems with non rechargeable Li-ions

dg

Reply to
dg

I note the blocks under the tyres in the top picture :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

And I've had difficulty getting such posted from the US .. (laptop battery).

And for the car .. 80 mpg indeed .. ;-)

Oh and .. "Emissions - Zero for 4 hours" .. so charged by hydroelectric then?

;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Who cares - have you seen how fast it is??

Reply to
Grunff

If you flatten the battery and have no fuel, all it needs is a tow for 1/2 mile or so and the wheels turning will charge the battery, they you get home.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

As long as you only live a mile or so away, of course

Cheers,

John (sensing another classic Dr Drivel exchange in the offing)

Reply to
John Anderton

160hp per wheel and a motor on each wheel. That is over 600hp. The car is overpowered. They may be wanting to claw back more brake regen by using a motor on each wheel. The management system should bring in and out front and rear drive wheels automatically.

A simple overview:

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So it would need to be towed by an F1 car then (most trucks only being ~450hp).

And they are environmentally friendly aren't they? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel" saying something like:

Really? Creates energy does it?

FFS.

I suppose it fills up the petrol tank too.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

One of the correspondents who contributes to Autocar runs a Lexus GS300, and borrowed the same car but the hybrid version. Got 28 mpg with it during his usual commute across London. Exactly the same as his own car. It's about time they sorted those false MPG claims - and also the false low CO2 output company car tax is based on...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep.

It does?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oh no the naive intervene again. Will you please eff off as you are an idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel