April's DIY successes and failures so far

The quarterlight. The wind was howling once I reached any speed above 30mph. The quarterlight on the Transit was loose. The noise was dreadful; you couldn't have a conversation. I applied silicone sealant and fixed the glass in place with an aluminium strip screwed to the frame. Success: total.

The shelf. I wanted to make a big fancy shelf longer so I could put a CCTV monitor next to the telly. I got a quote of £220 so I DIYed it. The hardwood front edge and the multiply shelf were fine, but I guessed the colour in the shop so when I'd stained it it was much too light. I bought some more stain and guessed the colour again. This time it was much too dark. I've draped a doily over it. Success: woodwork yes, final appearance a total balls up.

The shed door. I've never made or fitted a door before. I made a good strong door frame and a good strong door. I bought a Yale rimlock for £14 only to find that virtually any key would open it. I then bought a five lever deadlock. I've never fitted a mortice lock before. Success: apart from the waste of the £14, total. But I guess I was saving about £1 per hour by this DIY endeavour. The door works perfectly though. I'm amazed.

The stairlift. It creaked terribly. The problem seemed to be at the top of the stairs. I decided one floorboard was to blame. I moved one of the track's feet to the adjacent tread. This cured the minor squeak but left the major one. A small quantity of oil on the track fixed that. Success: total but I bet if I'd just oiled it it would have been good enough, so I reckon I wasted two hours.

The short path. An area of lawn had become a muddy track so I laid some slabs. Because of the topography the geometry was a bit confusingly three dimensional, but in the end it looked fine. I have a giant angle grinder thing with a diamond blade, and it cut the slabs like butter. Nearly took my leg off as well. Success: total and all the more impressive when you realise I didn't have to go to A & E.

The noisy door. It's a heavy fire door with an automatic closer thing. The closer thing had come loose after 30 years and was making a racket and the door was slamming. I repaired and refitted the closer thing and put some draught proofing strip around the door frame to cut the noise down. The main complaint had been of the squeak though. I fixed that in five seconds. It was the middle hinge needing a bit of oil. Success: well the door's a lot quieter but if I'd oiled the hinge first that would have ended the complaints and left more time for the pub.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Could try bleaching to tone it down. I've had acceptable results that way. Google 'wood bleach'

Reply to
Richard

Thanks for that.

Bill