Anything I should know before dismantling a large CRT telly?

In the old days, there are two nice ring magnets inside, these used to be quite fun to play with. But maybe later designs got round the need for them. they were used for focussing the electron beam and are around the neck of the glass tube at the back.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I don't think contacting the council would help, but you did give me the idea to contact the local newspaper, so I have just written a letter for the letters page and emailed it off!

MM

Reply to
MM

Yeah, well, that's the $64,000 question, ain't it!

MM

Reply to
MM

What I do know is that the old 28-incher weighed 49.5kg and the new

32-incher weighs bugger all!

This morning (I watched from my window) the first refuse collector bloke went to lift the telly, then found out just how heavy it was. He called the driver down to help, and together they ~~~just~~~ about managed to lift it up and heave it into the back. It's quite a way from the ground to where the compactor sits. I hope neither of them did themselves an injury.

MM

Reply to
MM

Boy oh boy, that really *is* the good old days ! I haven't seen that since I was an apprentice. For the last 40 years, the only magnets around the neck of any tube have been thin plate types, used to set purity on colour shadowmask tubes, and later, to set the convergence on slotmask tubes. Shadowmask tubes also had three small ring magnets and a small twiddlable bar magnet for setting the static convergence. Post the days of focus magnets (that's the ring magnets around the neck that I think you are talking about) and ion trap magnets, there have not been any magnets associated with black and white tubes. The need was eliminated when electrostatically focused guns and aluminisation of the rear face of the phosphor coating to prevent ion burn, were introduced.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily