Anything I should know before dismantling a large CRT telly?

No, they're all old and doddery like me. I don't want to be held responsible for a back injury just to save 15 quid.

I've seen on other council websites that the collection team will refuse to take anything that weighs over 50kg. The Sony weighs in at

49.5kg, so I hope I won't get any hassle from South Holland.

MM

Reply to
MM

On 27 Mrz., 23:07, Ian Jackson wrote: >....Easier still, pay that

Yeah, that really does now seem the best option, after reading about all the (very frightening) warnings. I'm glad I asked first!

MM

Reply to
MM

I've already emailed the council, asking them how to dispose of a large, heavy telly...

MM

Reply to
MM

Well, it wouldn't, would it? Not if sopmeone's gouged a chunk out of it?

(I was also taught to do the same thing.)

The whole idea of those dropper sections was that you could make up a complete new dropper to exactly match any set - but I never knew of anybody who did so.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Only if it hadn't been used for some time - or you managed to brush some loose dust onto it while you were working on the set ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

£15 is a bit steep. It is only £5 for one item in my area and £10 for up to 4 items

I doubt that the guys will give a toss.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I must admit that I have not seen this 'Harmony' remote that you speak so highly of. Most of the remotes that I see are from a service point of view or stock items for sale in the shops that I do work for. I will look into it further on your glowing recommendation !

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Coal scuttle Murphy, Regentone 10-4, Pye 11, Murphy 849 (remember the flywheel sync diode FSX2442A ? ), all valve colour sets with PD500 shunt stabilisers guaranteed to fry your gonads with x rays, BRC 2000's , 3000's,

3500's, 8000's with syclops, and in my opinion, the best colour set of its day, the Rank A823 chassis. Oh happy days in gentler times ... :-)

Whilst showing my age, sad day yesterday, when Sandy Heath analogue was taken off the air. I was there when it came on the air, when it had it's coax blasted by lightning, when it's replacement piece caused the auto SWR trip to periodically shut down the transmitter ... The company that I worked for was a 'trusted' workshop by the IBA, and they installed a check receiver at our place, to monitor the field strength on a chart recorder. It was my job to check the tuning each morning when I got into work, by sticking on a pair of headphones, and peaking the sync buzz.

And now it's gone ... :-(

You sometimes saw ones with no evidence of a burn up, and I guess that they might have failed right where the resistance wire joined the tag, so might just conceivably 'remake' at some point in the future. I guess that was the thinking behind it. Definitely one of those 'apprentice' things that I was taught, and continued to pass on to others.

Arfa

(Didn't we both used to write for TeleMag at the same time a few years back ?)

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Used to be mainly Phillips on rental but some BRC stuff plus all the others for repair.. 405 line dual standard remember soldering over all those system switches when we finally went all UHF in the area;!..

We used to look after the Cambridge channel 2 405 transmitter as they couldn't monitor it back at Peterbourgh. We got the number of Sandy heath in later years but they didn't like us tellin them there were any faults with it!..

Remember working on the Sudbury Transmitters back around the early late

60's early 70's UHF 77 series IIRC..

Sandy was all Marconi but I believe the channel 4 was a TVT 'mitter but I'd left there by then..

No not me..

Reply to
tony sayer

Pye V4, VT4 ... Bush TV24 ... TV53/63, TV75/85/95 TV105/115/125 - was the TV125 the equivalent of your Murphy 849? The flywheel sync problem sounds familiar.

Modifying the Bush CTV25 to turn the line ouput stage into a Davey lamp? Didn't stop it catching fire but saved the house ...

ITT/KB VC1/2/3/4/5 and, in a later life, VC100, VC200, etc.

Baird 6xx, then 700/1/2, 710, before Thorn took over ...

As you say, happy days ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

Remember the RGD 627? Wedge shaped and on four screw-in legs of the black-taper-and-gold-feet variety ? Would fall over if you just looked at it wrong ...

There's a nice 'in the back' picture of a Murphy V849 on Google Images. The dropper is clearly visible along the bottom. The flywheel sync diode block that gave all the trouble with very weak line sync, was on the vertical sub-chassis on the far right, that you can't see the back of.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

In article , Terry Casey scribeth thus

I remember a lot of LOPT's at that time used to have the plastic insulation break down so we cut away the charred sections and replaced them with Plastic Padding a type of body filler that was around in those days. Then a liberal coating of Ignition sealer which made it look almost new .. and thats what the guvnor charged them for;!...

OK ... anyone go back to servicing Baird Televisor's ;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Ah! Sounds like Ekco! A transparent plastic frame that gradually decomposed - it became slightly conductive and got burn away by the EHT.

You could by replacements made out of perspex for about five bob which made the job much easier than patching it as you describe!

Reply to
Terry Casey

No, but it wasn't the only one ...

Google wants to show me around 11,000 images which don't seem to be TV related at all!

The thing I rember was grey - you could see the individual diode discs under the paint, like a small caterpillar - and it was mounted across a pot which had to be sdjusted correctly for the flywheel sync to work properly after you'd replaced the diodes ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

Final instalment in the disposal of telly saga:

First thing to note is that we get two refuse lorries on rubbish collection day. The first comes around really early and takes away the black bag rubbish (kitchen waste etc). The second usually comes mid- morning to collect the recycling sacks.

I was in Spalding the other day so I simply popped in at the council offices and arranged collection of up to three large items (=A315). She asked me when my normal refuse collection was. Tuesdays, I said. So she arranged collection for today, 12th April, and said to place the items at the edge of the propery by 7:00am, which I did (TV and a computer monitor). I placed them next to the recycling sack containing newspapers, tin cans etc.

So, just now, the first lorry turned up and took the telly and the monitor! I couldn't believe it. They just hefted them into the back along with all the black bags. So much for recycling!

MM

Reply to
MM

And WEEE - not only a waste of materials but also toxins going to landfill.

Reply to
PeterC

Ring your council and complain and ask for your =A315 back(*). Those items should not have been collected by the landfill truck, though I doubt that the recyling one, if it's anything like the one that comes round here could cope with a TV/monitor either. Ours are divided up for paper, glass and tins, no facilty to take "bulky items".

(*) I doubt you'll get it but I fail to see the justification for the charge if it the items just go in the normal landfill collection. Do the collectors *really* leave stuff if they haven't been told the fee has been paid?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And you were ripped off £15 to boot.

We're on what's called a "rural route" for rubbish collection - they send a seperate small lorry because of access issues - we recently discovered that our "recycling" all goes in the same lorry because it isn't economic to collect it seperately. When I queried this with the council, they said we should "show willing", even though our recycling isn't recycled.

Reply to
Huge

Well, I don't know about that, since it's a lot more expensive with some other councils, Surrey for example (£20.47) or Norfolk (£20).

MM

Reply to
MM

Just because he was ripped off less doesn't stop it being a ripoff. You already pay for refuse disposal, why should you have to pay for it again?

Reply to
Huge