Anything I should know before dismantling a large CRT telly?

Does your council have "Bring Out Your Rubbish" days? Find when the next nearest one to you is and drag it out to the pavement for collection. Eg:

jgharston

Freecycle? They take it away for you

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"NoSpam" wrote

i've got a nice little 28 inch wells gardner monitor in an arcade machine here, been switched off for about a month, your welcome to come round and stick your finger under the anode cap and tell me if it's discharged yet,

i've gotten a healthy crack from my discharge tool every time i need to remove chassis (which requires the lopt wires removing of course) even when i knew the machine haddnt been plugged in for well over 3 months, this monitor also likes to build up a charge whilst sitting, the tube is a rather large capacitor after all,

my 25 inch hantarex polo 2 self discharges, but i still dont remove the anode cap without poking my discharging tool under the cap first, just incase, the HOT is renowned for mysteriousely breaking it's solder joints on this monitor, so why take the risk that the bleed resistor hasnt done the same.

Sure, 30,000 volts wont kill you unless your silly enough to be holding onto something grounded with your other hand (should be in your back pocket whilst you remove the cap) but it's apparantly not nice to have that voltage throwing your arm back at a violent rate of knotts, usually causing you to crack the neck of the tube in the process, apparantly some people get thrown accross the room, and then boast they are good electricians as they can take the shocks!!!

Reply to
Gazz

e ground wire that contacts

ber anode cap til it hits the

u'll hear a spark.

I know its due to the glass dielectric, but never really understood the mechanics of it.

PSU caps usually self discharge. Usually.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Dropped some stuff off at Emmaus yesterday and they were busily skipping all the CRT tellies, in advance of the demise of analogue TV in a couple of weeks...

Reply to
Huge

It's more likely that they found they simply weren't selling any. Sad, innit.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Who would buy one, given that analogue goes away in a couple of weeks here?

It is. But then, so was giving them my (very expensive) JVC cassette deck and a big bag of tapes. They don't sell on eBay for enough to justify the nuisance, on account of that being another technology that is Going Away. (In fact, they had a sign saying "No audio or video cassettes", but the chap on the donations desk said "Oh, that's OK" and took them anyway.)

Reply to
Huge

Hard to get a decent STB either to drive them.

As I discovered when one of my treasured Sony STBs went iffy. Out of production. Fleabay only.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Huge I'd have thought you'd have known better. An analogue TV can work happily with a converter box which are now somewhere around sub 20 quid from Tescos. Provided that have a SCART input they can easily cope with digital. Two in this household have been and will continue to do that next month the month after and so on till such time as they pack up and can't be repaired....

You can still run an analogue VCR of the same converter box if you should want to..

Reply to
tony sayer

OK then .. care to put one hand on the CRT final anode and the other on the chassis anytime up to say a day or three after its switched off;?...

I'd much prefer to carry a CRT inside the cabinet it came in rather than loose outside. I've seen the mess that can make when they do go pop and when they get dropped or damaged otherwise vacuum intact or not..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Skipweasel scribeth thus

I've been out of the TV repair bizz for many years now but I've not seen an EHT bleed anywhere....

Seeing that flat panels have been around what 8 years or thereabouts?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Oh, I know the technical side, but I also know a little about the psychology of "users" - no-one is going to buy an analogue TV from a charity shop now that analogue is Going Away.

Yes, I know that, too.

Reply to
Huge

Me, and analogue went away a year or so ago here.

All the TV goes via the PVR.

Reply to
Clive George

I did that once, but placed it outside just under a small, high window. Then dropped a brick (or something heavy) on it whilst I was safely shielded. (This was a 20" B&W CRT.)

My dad wasn't too pleased though...

Reply to
BartC

Afraid not.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

They go off with a deafening "Gnab"

;-)

I.O.W. Give it the "Saniflo" treatment.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek G.

ok, not a TV, but my hantarex polo monitor (arcade machine) does bleed off the eht in a few seconds of switching off, but i still dont go poking my hand under the anode cap without first shoving the discharging tool under there first, just in case.

Reply to
Gazz

Many decades ago I used to design display systems and have had the odd "surprise", but never after anything like 2 weeks. However, you've got a very fair point and the safe option is certainly to check. Although TBH the safe and sensible option is to leave the thing looking TV-shaped and to just find a mate to help take it down to the dump.

Reply to
NoSpam

The OP was talking about 2 weeks - but I agree that it's always better to check.

(I also agree that it's better still to just take the whole thing down to the dump).

Reply to
NoSpam

aka "disposed in landfill"

Reply to