Anything I should know before dismantling a large CRT telly?

Smash it to bits using A Hammer or A Blunt Instrument and slowly but surely dispose of it in your dustbin. Easy ...

Reply to
Mr Pounder

In article , Peter Parry writes

Bad idea. The phosphor coating on the tube face is highly toxic.

Just take the set to the tip where it will be sent for disposal by contractors with the proper equipment.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

If your wife thinks 28" is not big then.......

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , Tim Watts writes

TV sets haven't used big (mains) transformers since around 1950 (at the latest). Anything later simply won't have one (certainly not a 28" Sony).

Personally, I would not dismantle the set. Just get a load of mates around (one with a small van), and promise them large quantities of beer in return for using their muscle to move the set. Easier still, pay that £15, and leave it to the council.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Drag it into the street and then phone the council up saying "someones dumped a TV on the pavement"

Reply to
ARWadsworth

More than partial - CRTs have a very high vacuum.

Reply to
Skipweasel

PSU caps won't be an issue after a few minutes, anode voltage may be. It won't kill you but could easily make you drop it... Get a long thin-bladed screwdriver, connect the blade to chassis or the ground wire that contacts the outside coating of the tube, then slide the blade under the rubber anode cap til it hits the connection at the centre. Even after 2 weeks there is a fair chance you'll hear a spark.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Wuss. I've shifted our old 32" Panasonic heaps of times and have the hernias to prove it!

Tim

Reply to
Tim

... and find that it ends up being dumped in a hedgerow somewhere :-)

My LA doesn't charge - even for things like scrap cars, up to an annual limit.

I once managed to (just) heave an ancient bloddy heavy photocopier into the front garden for disposal. The LA (after a lot of head-scratching) brought round a Hiab truck to collect it. They simply bashed a hole in the plastic case with what looked like a welder's hammer and inserted the hook of the crane. I was amazed that the plastic took the weight of the item.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Completely off-topic but =A31.30/l. Luxury. Currently paying =A31.459/l for bog standard unleaded.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Diesel's about 137/l here in Teflon.

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Lots of nonsense so far. There will not be any charge remaining anywhere but the vacuum can be dangerous if the tube implodes. The safe way to vent the tube is to squeeze the nipple (that you'll find inside the centre spigot of the base connector) with a pair of pliers. Cover the CRT with a blanket whilst you're doing it and wear safety goggles. There will be a short hiss, once this ends there is no risk and the CRT can be broken and/or removed from the cabinet. You probably ought not to breath the phosphor "dust" from the inner surface of the front face.

Reply to
NoSpam

wire that contacts

cap til it hits the

It also has a habit of recovering after you've discharged it. I presume because the coating is such a large area the whole thing doesn't discharge at once. Whatever - even if you give it a dead short for a moment or two the damned thing can still give you a nasty nip twenty minutes later.

Reply to
Skipweasel

ground wire that contacts

cap til it hits the

hear a spark.

When I still understood such things I think the recovery effect was caused by displacement current (one of Maxwell's ideas) - but it's a long time ago.

Reply to
NoSpam

I found a 28 inch Sony more difficult to get up and down stairs than a far heavier portable air con unit. Awkward shape but not as impossible as a 52 inch flat screen which I cannot move on my own.

Reply to
Invisible Man

I beg to differ - I've been bitten by a CRT that's been off for a fortnight. They're supposed to have a bleed resistor - but they sometimes fail.

Reply to
Skipweasel

The tube is about 90% of the weight so no point in dismantling. The set whole will be easier to lift than a bare tube.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not round here, they don't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's how I got rid of my old TV.

The best bit is when you smash the screen with the hammer.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That won't be easy with a large screen set.

But if you must, break the neck off first. This is the least dangerous way of filling the vacuum.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)