anyone got an electric aga?

The actual tonnage of refined is aroudn 50 tins a year I think.

The raw ore is around 100 times more so 5k tonnes of e.g. yellowcake.

Complicated by fast breeders and recycling of spent rods. Both of which reduce fuel consumption.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher

I think the food poisoning might be the least of your worries. Far more worrying is the prospect of the nuclear core melting down and taking up residence in the basement ...

Reply to
Bruce

Ready for the ground source heat pump... :-)

Reply to
Rod

There's nothing like positive thinking, is there?

;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Didcot A burns 3.7MT of coal a year, so to answer John's point, weight-for-weight, 5k tonnes of fuel would only last it half a day, whereas 5k tonnes of ore will keep a nuclear power plant going for a year.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

cant happen with a pebble bed..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And didcot produces more radioactive waste that escapes than all the UK nuclear power industry put together.

Coal ash is quite radioactive, you know.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Excellent move. If you could arrange for a scrappy to get rid of the antique pile of crap you'd be heading for the 21st Century, if somewhat belatedly. But running away from it, as you have, is probably the best move.

Reply to
Steve Firth

While it might not melt out It's not impossible for the bottom to fall out of a pebble bed reactor.

Reply to
Mike

Couldn't help wondering how well it would clear the ice and snow from a gravel drive? (Just add a proportion of RA pebbles as it's laid.) Or keep the pond ice-free?

Reply to
Rod

Well, perhaps the OP should go off to the Kola peninsula to find one of the abandoned RTGs (radiothermal generators) there. The Gorn (1100 Watt), Senostav (1870 Watt) or IEU-1M (2200 Watt) should keep the Aga up to temperature, and you get some free electricity thrown in as well.

's the minor problem of the Strontium-90 and decay products, but I'm sure the local council would set up a recycling scheme before too long.

Sid.

Reply to
unopened

Its not impossible for a pebble to fall out of your bottom, either.

Its not impossible that invisible fairies live at the bottom of the garden either.

OR that your brakes will fail tomorrow.

The world is full of possibility.

The main point about a pebble bed being that in order to get tit to work AT ALL you need a lot of pebbles, and you need to cool them before they will start working.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps we should be charitable and point out that an electric Aga should be extremely reliable, as there's very little to go wrong, but that reliability comes at the cost of, what is regarded by most people as extremely, large electricity bills. If your disposable income is high enough not to worry about such things, then that is immaterial. Most people aren't so lucky.

For the price of a year's worth of electricity to run the Aga, you could buy a very good fan-assisted electric oven, with change left over to do the cooking for at least a year. Miele probably make a good one. You could spend the capital saved in not buying the Aga on some decent wine to go with the food you cook in the more efficient oven.

I do realise that once you get to a certain level of disposable income, efficiency is less important than aesthetics and personal taste. Personally, I wouldn't want a diamond encrusted mobile phone, or a gold plated Rolls-Royce. Some people do, and the expenditure doesn't matter to them, so there is a market for such things. Agas are not diamond encrusted, but they are expensive for what they do. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Regards,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

Business opportunity! Could we call it the Aga Khan model?

Reply to
Rod

Thanks Sid and others . I have touched on a sore point with many it seems. Fan oven would be no comparison. Not sure how diamond encrusted mobiles or Rolls-Royce cars fit in. Fascinating diversion from the original question but I am going to repeat it . Anyone got an electric aga? What do you think of it and have you had any problems?

Reply to
vbleau

I intend to buy the oven AND the wine

Reply to
vbleau

It is called "conspicuous consumption". In your case, it is conspicuous consumption of electricity.

Don't you feel just a teeny weeny bit guilty about all the CO2 emissions that will be produced by the power stations that supply the National Grid, and therefore your grossly inefficient, astonishingly power-hungry electricity-gobbling monster oven?

There is every reason why you should.

Reply to
Bruce

These links might, or might not, be of some interest. Note the dates - prices will be out of date and the views might have changed in response to that.

Reply to
Rod

Guilty?No. It is not really an oven it's a radiator that is on all the time meaning I will switch off most of the ones in my house that are on all the time currently in my house in a cold part of the world. Conveniently I will also be able to cook food in it, better than any of the many ovens I have owned over the years (except my old aga)

Reply to
vbleau