anyone got an electric aga?

I moved house and left behind my 4 oven oil fired aga.

The oven in my new house is awful by comparrison so I am considering another aga.

Does anyone have experience of a new electric aga - the ordinary 13 amp one, not the night storage one? I have heard mixed reports on their reliability. Thanks

Reply to
vbleau

Dunno what could go WRONG frankly.

The average fuel aga runs at about 600W-1kw 24x7., If that's OK on your bills, it should be fine..

13A sounds about right..probably toggles a 3KW element on and off.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[snip]

The 4 oven electric Aga averages 1,600W/hr continuously (270kW a week) according to Aga. By buying a £300 add on timer (Aga Intelligent Management System) this can be reduced to about 1,300W/hr or a mere 11.4 MWh per year at a cost of about £1,100.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Apart from the cost, I wonder how much carbon dioxide is emitted?

Reply to
Bruce

None at all by the Aga! :-)

And possibly none at all at all, if it's powered from nukular...

Reply to
Bob Eager

About 6 tonnes, very approximately what would be used by flying to New Zealand and back once every year.

An electric Aga alone uses roughly the same amount on electricity as the average American home in total does (11MWh per year - source US Energy Information Administration, 2006 figure)

If you want an example of creative writing the Aga pages on greenery are well worth a read. Faced with the problem of a user population which is sensitive to greenwash but generally not terribly bright (otherwise they would not have bought an Aga in the first place) it has come up with some remarkably innovative ideas to paint these dinosaurs green - such as connecting your own personal rooftop windmill to the Aga to "store" energy.

Peter Parry

It seems a bit excessive to have a new nuclear power station built specially to power an Aga. I knew they were incredibly inefficient and environmentally unfriendly, but are they really that bad? ;-)

In the meantime, the Aga will have to draw its power from the National Grid. Approximately 80% of the power from the Grid is generated by fossil fuels (gas and coal) so I repeat, I wonder how much carbon dioxide is emitted?

[I suppose you are one of those people who think that using an electric car emits zero carbon!]
Reply to
Bruce

On 20 Jan 2009 14:55:22 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager" wrote this:-

Nuclear electricity generation emits carbon dioxide, despite claims to the contrary by the likes of Bernard Ingham. The debate is how much it emits.

Even if the power station itself emits almost no carbon dioxide, none of them has a hole in the ground nearby from which fuel rods can be taken. Rather a lot of stuff has to be mined and separated, be transported long distances [1] and go through several energy intensive processes before it is turned into a fuel rod.

If it is to be "reprocessed" then a fuel rod then goes through a number of energy intensive processes, including producing highly radioactive nitric acid which must be kept cool using energy intensive mechanical means in tanks [2] for a long time if it is not to boil and the tanks possibly explode [3] before it goes through an energy intensive process to turn it into glass blocks.

[1] no uranium mines in the UK, Australia and Canada are the largest suppliers and are some way away. [2] An article in the New Scientist in September 2001 estimated that an attack on these tanks would release 44 times as much radioactivity as the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, and would ultimately cause 1.2 million cancers in Britain and Ireland. [3] one of the Tomsk-7 explosions illustrated what happens if this liquid is in an explosion. Fortunately Tomsk-7 is in a remote area.
Reply to
David Hansen

Or hydro but both are not including the CO2 emmited during construction of said power plants...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well; e can look forward to the first pebble bed reactor aga probably.

"Top up with any old radioactive shit once a year, heat your house and generate your electricity, too. " :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. Most of which could use nuclear power to power them.

Yup. All 50 tons a year of them.

Compaed with the HUGELY energy intensive job of setting up and maintaining the 500,000 tons of windmills they replace?

New scientist..well what DO you expect.

Oh dear oh dear. Usual proof by assertion bollocks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To be fair, that heat does heat the house so in winter at least there is some offset.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Added bonus: you and your kids will glow in the dark. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Also worth noting that the quantity of mined uranium required to run a reactor for a year is probably comparable to what a standard fossil fuel power station will get through in a matter of days or even hours.

Reply to
John Rumm

Heating my kitchen (Victorian, rear extension, poor insulation) wouldn't usefully heat my house.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

So you want an aga that takes uranium rods directly. Mind you, as the dinner turns into carbon, it might run away and go uncontrolled critical ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ah yes, that would be the "Sellafield" brand of cooker.

;-)

Reply to
Bruce

And the huge advantage of stopping much food poisoning in its tracks! (Assuming it works like the Cobalt irradiation units, and that they work. Obviously won't help with toxins already produced by the bacteria...)

Reply to
Rod

And in summer there is the 'negative offset' of running a/c to keep cool in the kitchen?

Reply to
Rod

Where is our coal shipped from these days? China, South America?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth