anti syphon trap - maintenance & diagram

Hi

We have anti syphon bottle traps on our bathroom basin wastes. One of them has started to make a noise that sounds like air being sucked in. Do these valves need maintenance and is there a diagram on the web that shows how they are constructed?

thanks

Reply to
John HG Tinker

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:35:01 -0000 someone who may be "John HG Tinker" wrote this:-

Generally not. If they do (a rare event) it depends on the type of trap, there are two basic design concepts.

Probably, but I'm sure you can use a search engine as well as the rest of us.

Reply to
David Hansen

Reply to
John

They are meant to suck in air through a small valve on the sewer side, to prevent water being sucked from the trap.

If this becomes crudded up or perhaps parts are worn, then it may make a sound doing so.

I have never seen spares for them, nor seen one where the antisyphon valve can be dismantled without breaking it.

If it is causing a problem, then these days I would replace it with a HepVO trap. These have a collapsing tube seal inside and no water trap. If there is a negative pressure on the drain side, air will be sucked through, but quite quietly.

Reply to
Andy Hall