Anglian Water Plumbing insurance

Does anybody have experience of the above?

We've had it for a couple of years, with no need for it - until tonight.

The washing machine standpipe started overflowing into the kitchen, so out I go to inspect the drains. The manhole is backed up to the hilt with, well, you can imagine.

I borrowed some rods, and had a puggle, but to no avail. Our drains (we're on the end) serve 3 other properties before hitting the sewer. Next door neighbours aren't there (they only visit every 6 weeks or so), so I went to the nextdoor but one. His drains are clear, and on puggling back towards us, I get about 3m then get a small trickle. 'Aha' I thought, the problem is in between us. But their manhole is inside their garage, and there's no access.

So I phone AW helpline, reasoning that somebody with some longer rods is called for.

However, I get told that although it says evenings and weekends on the policy, the chances of getting somebody out to sort this out before tomorrow is very remote, as most drainage companies don't like to work outside normal hours?!?!?!?

Does this sound like a fob-off, or a reasonable statement?

Reply to
Gary Cavie

Sounds about par for the course with Anglian Water's insurance. A friend had a problem with a shared sewer (between 4 properties), which had collapsed outside the boundary of the last property, but before it joined the main sewer. When he first read the policy, it seemed to cover at least his share of the cost, but on contacting AW they pointed to small print which specifically excluded shared sewers.

In his opinion the only thing the policy seemed to cover was burst pipes and interior plumbing problems.

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

Which is possibly covered by normal buildings insurance...

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Gary,

I wouldn't stand for that. Whats the point of 24 hours cover if they won't cover you out of office hours. When my drain got blocked at 8:30 in the evening I had a drain company out within the hour. My policy is with Home Service though..

Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Simpson

How old is your house? If it was built pre 1935, clearing drains which are shared between houses is the responsibility of the local authority, who often subcontract this to the relevant water authority. Work is done for free for clearing blockages, provided that no repairs are necessary.

Our shared drain (12 ish houses) blocks about twice a year at the end of the run, so I phone Thames water, who send usually a private drain clearing company. I am always asked about the age of the house (1933 luckily..), and warned about possible charges. However, I have never been charged in twenty years of doing this...

I have suggested that a proper clean of the run would save us all money, but no-one wants to think ahead and invest to save (surprise)

This old bit of the legislation is not publicised for obvious reasons, but if your house is old enough it would be worth investigating, now and for the future.

Good luck.

Charles Fearnley

Reply to
Charles Fearnley

Who then usually sub it out to a drain clearing firm. The last time we had it done the guy had a 6 tonner with compressors and all kinds of kit on the back. Took about ten minutes in all, whereas the yellow pages merchants always manage to drag it out for a couple of hours. Despite all the modern customer charter nonsense, nobody wants to tell consumers their rights in this area.

Reply to
stuart noble

What about the following situation: House built at turn of century, most likely before 1935. In mid 80's it was split into flats. I assume the maintenance of the drains connecting the flats is the joint repsonsibility of the tenants and hence probably the landlord. But where this drain meets the one from next door and then goes to the main sewer in the road, would that be covered by this legislation?

Reply to
Fishter

I would have thought so. My understanding of everything that I have found so far (to check that I would not be charged by the waterboard) is that any drain which carries the outflow of more than one pre 1935 house is covered, even though it/they are on private property. However, this covers blockage clearance only. If the pipework falls in it's your problem....

More people should know about this - it would save householders a lot of time and money.... Charles Fearnley

Reply to
Charles Fearnley