Amish and OSB

5 chavs with lawn-mower-engined "scooters"?
Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Oh indeed, I'm certainly not disputing that, but we're discussing what many see as the 'strange' lives of, in this case, Amish and Jews. Strange to us perhaps, but not doing us any harm, so why the problem?

I remember the first time I visited Lancaster County, in the US, what amazed and to a certain extent sickened me was not the Amish and how they lived their lives, but the huge buses full of USAians paying good money to drive around and gawp at these people. To the average modern American, the Amish are today's freak show. The modern equivalent of the dwarf, or bearded lady, or elephant man.

Reply to
News

so are we. I overheard some pretty outrageous shit from an Air force colonel once at the next table.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A while back there was masses of disagreement about some north London eruv. Rationale for having it seemed entirely to permit less stringent rules governing sabbath - which itself sounds like a bit of a cop-out.

But I am not in the least sure that I would want to live inside an eruv. Why should I be forced to simply because I happened to live in an area which someone else deems an eruv? Can't think of any logical reason but can't help feeling that my freedom to live within or without is removed if one is put up around my house. (For clarity - I do NOT live in such a location - simply hypothesising.)

On the other hand, why not one tiny inverted eruv leaving the entire rest of the world to be deemed within an eruv?

Reply to
polygonum

If you're not a Jew, living inside the north London eruv has no effect on you whatsoever. The only difference you might notice would be in the behaviour of your orthodox Jewish neighbours during Shabbat.

Logic dictates that the inside of the eruv must be smaller than the outside, as the eruv is the boundary between the dwelling place and the rest of the world.

Rabbinical law also forbids it, as far as I can see.

Reply to
John Williamson

Good grief.

Reply to
Huge

But if someone were to cut the corf, unbeknownst to them, would it still be (jewish) society's duty to put them to death ?

Reply to
geoff

Such children are not *playing*, within the meaning of the Act. They are creating a nuisance.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You're right, but there's no shortage of gawpers in any society.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In almost every way I agree that the eruv would make no real difference - but it still infringes upon my freedom to NOT do so for whatever reason I might feel applies.

Also rather odd for the eruv to includes all sorts of non-dwelling places like roads.

Reply to
polygonum

At this point, I think we need to ask Dr. Who what he thinks of this idea.

Reply to
Davey

I really can't think of any logical reason either, but if that's how you feel....

BTW, if someone makes a war zone in some other part of the world, how do you feel about being excluded? After all, your freedom to live within or without the war zone is removed by the simple fact that the fighting is taking place elsewhere. And every time a new war zone starts up in some distant land, your freedom to be included is once again being infringed. ^.^

Reply to
GB

I was embarrassed on behalf of the Amish. Although they seem used to it.

BTW, I just watched the programme that started this thread, and as I suspected, the people concerned were an evangelical breakaway sub-sect of Old Order Amish, so aren't really Amish at all. (Although I admit this smacks of the "One True Scotsman" fallacy.)

Reply to
Huge

Its only taking a ridiculous concept to its natural conclusion

Reply to
geoff

A local loon, an Elder of the Kirk, fired a shotgun over the head of my friend as she was hanging out the washing on the sabbath day. Said loon also happened to be a councillor and had no licence for said gun. The polis came, spoke to him, did f*ck all.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Could she not take that up with a mainland force or the Police Complaints Commission?

Or just blog it over over the internet?

Sounds like a fun place for a uk.d-i-y meet - on a Sunday of course...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Isn't that the very definition of religion?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I think the Amish thinking is, "if it's not mentioned in the Bible, we can't use it". Leviticus quite clearly describes all engineered wood products, although one can be flayed alive for mixing Glu-Lam and MDF in the same building.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Wait until you find out what the descendants of monkeys believe. You'll laugh.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

They being the ones that don't understand evolution? Like religious types?

Reply to
dennis