air supply to burner

a friend has told me that a wood/coal burner sucks air into it and up the chimney, air comes under doors, through windows and floor boards, he says the answer is to have a separate air supply, perhaps coming from an airbrick in the wall through a plastic drain pipe under the floorboards to very near the air inlet of the burner, with a closable grill for when the burner's not burning.

Of course , its obvious once he said it.

So what kind of an openable grill?

or could i feed an airpipe directly into the burner?

the burner in this room is a Rayburn number one, with an air inlet at the front under it...

???

george

(with wooly hat on, cant find my long johns...)

Reply to
dicegeorge

If it's a new install, it should have *permanently* open air vents sized using the appropriate formula in Part J of the Building Regulations:

's also notifiable building work.

Reply to
dom

If I remember correctly an appliance like this should have 2 permanently open vents in the room in which it is located. One at, or near, floor level and the second at, or near, ceiling level. Makes sense if you think about it. Cold air in and warm air out. Also helps to keep the neighbourhood warm, which is a bugger. HTH

Reply to
Nick