Advise on fitting wall sockets and related wires

Hi,

Ihave just had some plastering done to my room and now wish to fit some new wall sockets.

I would prefer the flush fitting ones, which would require chopping out the plaster.

I want the sockets to be just above the skirting and I want to know how to deal with the two wires that will come up from below the floor (note I have a suspended wooden floor).

I know I will have to chase out a channel for the wires, but should put the wires in a condiut or should I just fill in the hole directly after

Many Thanks

Bhupesh

Reply to
bp

If the wires run vertically from the socket, no conduit required. The idea being people will realise there might be cables there and not hammer nails into the wall.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pity you did not ask earlier as boxes are normally chased in along with the wires before the plastering is done

Tony

Reply to
TMC

_just above_ is now defined by regulation. Eassentially the outlets need to be accesible to someone in a wheelchair.

Are the 'new' outlets part of a ring main? There should be two _cables_ each consisting of three wires -T+E (Live, Neutral and unsheated earth wire).

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 18:02:33 GMT, "Brian Sharrock" mused:

Not got the hang of quoting yet then Brian.

Not neccesarily.

Reply to
Lurch

No they don't! There is no requirement for that - you can put them where you like. Whatever next - all houses must have light switches near the floor so a child can reach them? Things do go a bit too far thanks to do-gooders.

Reply to
andy

There is such a regulation - Part M of the Building Regulations IIRC - but it only applies to new builds.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You are both partially right and partially wrong.

Part M defines acceptable socket heights, but only for new builds, or something along those lines. Rewires in existing buildings - one can do as one pleases...

Yeah, I know...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

exactly so, and it's generally 450mm above floor level (minimum)

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Ideal if you want every room to be easily converted to a kitchen. I can see lots of work for sparks modifying new builds after they are signed off...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi,

Thanks for the replies,

The sockets where already there previously. I removed them myself for the plasterer and now want to put them back exactly where they were. I asked about how to deal with the wires so that I could ensure the job was done properly.

I could have put the sockets in and had the plastering done around that - just overlooked that I guess.

THe existing sockets look like they were all on a ring as there are two thick grey wires coming out of the back. I have not open the sockets up to see how many wires are inside.

I will not be doing the work my self but I will pass this on to the electrician.

Thanks very much for the replies

Bhupesh

Reply to
bp

The original posting used the phrase ;- " ... now wish to fit some new wall sockets."

"New wall sockets" implies they weren't there before and is further compounded by wording such as above the skirting and chop out plaster. If the original poster had of used phrasing such as ; 'I'd like new face plates/ fascias or some such - I wouldn't have bothered to direct him to the Building Regulations (specifically Part M). BTW; when does 'it wasn't there before - now it is' become new build?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 03:21:06 -0700, bp mused:

If you have to give the electrician any of the information you have been given in this thread he is not an electrician.

Reply to
Lurch

New build is when you build new houses. I think applying Part M to extensions is negotiable and on a 'provided not worse than existing' basis.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Friend of a friend (so veracity uncertain) had a kitchen fitted once.

Fitter: "Dunno what they've done with this socket here, it's got two wires going in and out"

Friend of friend: "Don't touch anything else, pack up your tools, and get out".

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf