Advice needed: looking to buy offset spanner and vice grips.

I know if I had more time, I would bought online, but I need to pick them up this evening/tomorrow morning from a conventional store.

Looking for a good set of offset spanners, and a decent Vice grip, or set if they are good value.

Snap on would be ideal but out of my price band. I've done well so far with Halfords professional and Teng, but just wondering if there are "bargain" unknown brands out there, that are little hidden gems.

I'm after something that will last, not just be a "one job and break/lose them" set.

Any advice? before I blow money at B&Q/Halfords/Local Autofactors?

Cost matters, but I would rather buy good now, and once, than cheap twice.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

"Halfords Professional" stuff is good. Also look for "Draper Pro". (Ignore the 'ordinary' Draper stuff)

I have had a "Draper Pro" socket set for around 15 years now, fairly heavy useage and no problems.

Snap-on stuff is good but, imho, is no better than the Halfords/Draper professional ranges. You are simply paying for a name.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Cheers. Yep, Halfords pro is good. Thats why, whenever I break cheap=20 tools I've bought I tend to replace it with Halfords. =20

Not heard of the Draper Pro range. Did see a pair of Draper vice grips=20 in the Tesco tool section, they were about =A37, didn't lok at sturdy=20 though, so I'll look out for Draper pro stockists.=20

Oh, I know, I would only consider Snapon second hand, or if I was=20 stocking a workshop where names might be seen by customers. Kind of=20 inspires some confidence, and makes them think the money they are paying=20 is going somewhere worthwhile.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

With the cheap sets from the sheds, it's rather difficult to guess. I did buy one to keep in my electronics workshop where they're likely to only get light use, but wanted clean ones rather than my car stuff.;-) And a set from Homebase, marked chrome vanadium, are actually ok if not the best looking.

For car stuff, I've found Halfords pro combination types very good. Longer than average too, so you need to take care when tightening. I've got two each of the common sizes.

For vice grips, I'd go for a decent make.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Huh ?! Most people use the lack of time as an excuse to by online, I guess this is a 'distress' purchase...

The last time I investigated Halfords own brand tools they were bang supplied by Facoom (a very respected French tool company on a par with Snap-on).

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I wouldn't trust any of the Draper range now, 15 or 20 years ago they were good but now they seem to just put the Draper name on anything....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I think they always have. In other words, make nothing themselves. They definitely don't have a 'house style' across their products.

IMHO, some of their stuff is ok, and some poor. Of course it's all cheap, so YGWYPF.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bought Draper grips from Tesco. When I got a snapped bolt stuck in a socket, I tried to get a good drip, and they twisted (didn't bend, just twisted instead of clamping straight). They will now be used for light stuff like holding panels in place and the like.

I do like Halfords pro stuff, the local branch didn't have a 14mm offset unfortunatley.

So shall I this time.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

It's a case of knowing what I needed upto the last minute, and not searching for it. And Next day was Saturday, so that would rule out online order and next delivery. I usually use online to save money instead of time. If I need something now, it's out to the shop, feel the quality and pay the premium.

I have the pro stuff at home and it is fantastic (except I broke one of their extensions (through a little missuse) and it isn't marked halfords so I can't even try it on for warranty).

The vice grips they had were normal Halfords rather than Pro, and dearer than the budget drapers (standard, not pro or expert) I picked up at tesco, although they proved to be total crap. Locally, the Halfords branch didn't have a 14mm offset, or comnbined set, so I bought a Draper Expert which seems to be a fairly good quality spanner.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar