Adjusting a uPVC door: advice needed

Hi all -- no successful google, and I can't see this in the Wiki ...

Our RH porch door has slipped a little since being installed last June and is slightly catching its twin door: see

(which shows the layout but you can't see the slippage)

I guess I could adjust it, if I knew how ..... the hinges are of this type:

anyone tell me what approach I need to take (apart from a very careful one!)

Cheers and TIA John

Reply to
Another John

The cut-out on the hinge cover (on the very left as you look at the picture) usually houses a bolt with an allen key head. Turn it clockwise to pull the door towards the hinge at this point.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Thanks Steven (I foolishly omitted to say that I've removed the plugs in order to display the holes in the hinges). I guess I need to slacken or tighten the other two bolts, as the job progresses?

The hole in the top of the hinge houses a larger bolt with an allen key head ... what does that do? I mean: it's obviously the hinge pin itself, but what happens if I "adjust" those pins? Or do I leave 'em well alone?!

John

Reply to
Another John

Yes you might have to pull the top of the door in towards the hinge while pushing the door out away from the hinge at the bottom so the door still aligns with its neighbouring door. It really depends how it has fallen. I hate this job as I always seem to make an ass of it. What I do is count the full turns I have given the bolt so that if it is worse I can put it back to how it was previously and work from there.

Haven't a clue. Could it be up and down as opposed to in and out?

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Angle grinder, of course.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

That rotates the hinge pin - which is slightly eccentric. (Aren't we all!) When you rotate it, the edge of the door moves in a circle - towards and away from the door-post, and into and out of the room, so to speak. Get the in and out of the room bit right first, and then use the smaller adjuster to move the door closer to or further from the door-post.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Mr Pounder