Adhesive Recommendations....

You've not used a SDS drill then? A SDS will go into a decent quality brick as fast as a hammer drill into a block. If I want a hole I want it quickly and not have to spend five minutes leaning on a drill just for a

40mm deep 6 mm dia hole, maybe you don't have stone walls...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I understand it perfectly well, better than you appear to ;>)

I'll spell it out (as others kindly already have but to no avail) - you don;t seem to be able to handle differing viewpoints very well? Here goes:-

if you don;t use *nails* to fix your pb to your wood blocks your "shear forces" will be virtually eliminated so the method of fixing your blessed blocks to the tiles will be less critical to the point where Wilko no more nails will probably do the job.

do you get it yet or are you (trollingly) going to deny it again?

We call it L A T E R A L thinking....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Quarry tiles are not brick.

They are ceramic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From where I am, it looks like you don't get it.

The answer being given is to AVOID banging clouts in, therefore AVOID severe treatment of the glued blocks. And the way to AVOID is not to use clouts but to use screws for the plasterboard.

Then gluing with any of several suggested adhesive substances would probably be perfectly adequate. And you always have the choice of using an SDS and screwing as well.

I would never now choose to use clouts for fixing plasterboard, unless unavoidable for some reason (and I can't think of any good enough reason right now).

Reply to
polygonum

I have SDS, (mains) hammer drill and a cordless combi with hammer.

maybe I don't have stone walls maybe I do, but I didn't gush that :-

"> >> Ordinary hammer drills are useless on anything other than cinder

which is clearly bollocks IME. (After all any half-wit can make a hole in plaster and cinder block with a nail and hammer if need be)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Giboogle (I like Glib Bogus) accidentally replied to you, instead of to the OP.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

substrate and having only a pile of burnt out masonry bits to show for it, I've decided to investigate easier options.

tiles? If anyone has any suggestions, my drill, drill bits and I would be supremely grateful, THANK YOU!!

I haven't got a solution but, I do know how hard quarry tiles are having cut a few for the bathroom, (that, the bloody council ripped up to replace them with 12" vinyl squares AND to removed my £1200 toilet, sink and bath in order to fulfil local council refurbishments!) SPIT!

Anyway, quarry tiles; does anyone remember 'Tomorrow's World' on which they demonstrated a ultra-sonic hand gun that cut a beautiful perfect line where, the harder the material the easier and neater, the cut?

They showed a guy creating glass mosaic cut-outs that simply lay on the work top when he lifted the glass pain up. WTF happened to that invention? My guess is that it didn't reach the production stage because it offered itself to those with evil intent?

Oh, yeah, quarry tiles. Is it not possible to sink holes between the tiles? Or, with a small enough chisel, it may be possible to 'chip' away at the edge to make 'holes'?

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

Stone is so much softer then quarry tile. The quarry tile's weakness is it is so brittle.

Reply to
RayL12

something like No More Nails for example?

LOL, poor you. :-)

Please, don't try to make things too easy for us. There is a need to resolve issues with complicated, professional-like, solutions. (hicc!)

Besides, what if you, one day, wish to remove the construction?

...Ray. :-)

Reply to
RayL12

+1

Reply to
RayL12

something like No More Nails for example?

I'd get in a professional team with dynamite.

Reply to
orion.osiris

something like No More Nails for example?

LOL ...'you're only supposed to blow the bloody plasterboards off!!'

Reply to
RayL12

An SDS would go through those too ok - but might well crack them. Which wouldn't matter much if it's simply to fix studs for plasterboard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In that case, using drywall screws would be better.

Reply to
PeterC

no shit sherlock...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

We got there eventually! Seemed bloody obvious what the screws referred to from the first mentiion of them. Now, where's that bigger hammer I need for the screws?

Reply to
PeterC

West system 2 part epoxy will stick just about anything to anything ... including my hands to nay tools I touch

Reply to
Rick Hughes

other words, I want the blocks on the tiles to be able to withstand having clout nails banged into them to fix plasterboard. So I don't want them to give when knocked sideways as it were.

Then screw fix the boards (or staple fix)

I drylined the whole house with staple fixing

Reply to
Rick Hughes

l term is "shear strength" - I think I have that right. In other words, I w ant the blocks on the tiles to be able to withstand having clout nails bang ed into them to fix plasterboard. So I don't want them to give when knocked sideways as it were.

staples?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Only if you go at 'em like a bull in a china shop.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice