AC/AC Adaptor suppliers

I am trying to find a replacement AC/AC adaptor for my father in law, who "accidentally" broke the adaptor to power his optic christmas tree last year. I have already tried Maplin and a host of other local electrical shops along with numerous hours searching on the net and all to no avail. The only joy I have had on t'interweb are OEM manufacturers, some of which requires a minimum order of 1000 parts!

Here is the spec. as taken off the back of what is left of the adaptor:

Manufacturer : MAXIM AC/AC Adaptor MODEL: MBA481218 INPUT: 240V ~ 50Hz OUTPUT: 12V ~ 1830mA

Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement for the adaptor - or do 999 other people also wish to buy an AC/AC adaptor :-)?

Cheers, Durn

Reply to
Durn

You sure its not 12v DC?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
Durn

electrical

adaptor:

It's only a transformer 240v in and 12v out at 1.8 amps. Maplin sell part WB25C for £9.99 that fits the bill, but you would have to mount it in something to make it safe. According to their web site they have

66 in stock!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Ho its a jap thing

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Right then - time to dig out my electronics and soldering books!

Thanks for the advice, Durn.

Reply to
Durn

If it really is AC/AC....then look at garden lighting transformers. I see a 60W (5000mA) one here for 11.39 plus VAT.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Low voltage (halogen) lighting transformer? Not sure if your (dad's) lights are really going to be fussed whether it's really AC: it may just be that they don't mind that it's not DC so there was no point spending extra on rectifying and smoothing the output on the original unit.

However if there's a rectifier and electronics inside the light set then it might not like the high frequency output of electronic 'transformers'. A suitably-rated (12 * 1830 ~= 20W) copper + iron transformer (e.g. out of a cheapy 5 quid LV lamp) should do.

Reply to
John Stumbles

IOf it's like mine. Then AC is needed - thjere is a little AC motor inside to turn the colourwheel, to make it change colours.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Really - a 12V AC motor?

I'm not doubting that such a thing is possible, just wondering about the economies of scale: if I were designing a rock-bottom-price consumer gizmo I'd expect to find that an off-the-shelf 12V dc motor (made by the zillion) plus a diode, would be cheaper than a 12V ac motor which must be quite a rare beast.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Small synchronous motors are common on things like washing machine programmers, etc. DC motors tend to run too fast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes but they're mains not 12V. I agree it could be 12V AC and what you say about the speed is a point, but it would surely be more expensive than either a 12 DC or 240V AC motor because it would have to be made specially for this product.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Could be. Small slow motors for things like colour wheels are fairly common on fibre optic decorative lamps etc. Anyone had one apart to see what it is?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Me. My little tree has a 5V 1A lamp (with integrated reflector) pointed into the ~3cm fiber bundle that comes from the branches from some 1cm away.

Between the end of the fiber bundle and the light is a colourwheel run from a standard slow speed AC motor, like is used in microwaves et al, running at maybe 5RPM.

I took it apart after 5VDC failed to rotate it.

IIRC, it was 10 quid all-in.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

So did 5V AC do the trick?

Presumably these are synchron(ous) motors similar working on the same principle as those in motorised valves, electric time switches and old-fashioned CH timers (and very old mains electric clocks).

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yes.

Yes. (for others) These things are typically a pancake, 60mm in diamter, 20mm thick, with a takeoff shaft 10mm off-center. There is inside a little circular magnet, between the poles of an electromagnet in the bottom 'half', and the upper half is a gearbox reducing to whatever speed, typically in the range 0.1-60RPM. Low single digit, or fractional watts consumption, and found in everthing from washing machine timers to clocks, to ...

Reply to
Ian Stirling

replying to Durn, 12vac wrote: Here's the part you need - 12V AC/AC, perfect for powering your fibre optic Christmas tree:

12vac

He has probably thrown away the Christmas tree since he asked the question 12 years ago.

Please see

.
Reply to
alan_m

Might still be in his loft!

Reply to
ARW

I had a situation a few years ago where my colleagues had lost the PSU for the fibre optic Christmas tree. It did indeed require AC to make the motor turn (I found an old fashioned AC / DC wall wart and bypassed the rectifier regulator and capacitor.

Reply to
cpvh