9 car pileiup M6..

The very fact the main roads are so poor in parts of Scotland - the A9 is a disgrace - is likely fuel to the nationalists.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A9 has quite a lot of dual carriageway now - it's had a lot spent on it over the past few years.

But I still prefer to drive in the evening there (roughly north of Loch Lomond) - traffic levels drop enough to mean there's plenty of overtaking opportunities, and you can make some real progress.

Reply to
Clive George

signs

And a car park displaying "libre" doesn't mean it's free.

Reply to
Reentrant

I holidayed in Kintyre for some (~20) years, which involved St.Albans/M1/M6/A74/M74/M8/Erskine Bridge (depressing sign "Campbeltown

200 miles")/A82 (Loch Lomond - much improved in recent years)/A83 (Rest and Be Thankful), around Loch Fyne (Inverary/Lochgilphead (wave to that schoolgirl with the school dinners blog)/Ardrishaig/Tarbert) Turn off down the B8001, past Claoniag to Torrisdale;

time ever; 9.5 hours in a Sierra Cosworth. Worst time ever; 14.5. I must have done that drive about 30 times over 20 years. But, to my point, one of the best drives was in the company of a friend, also a radio amateur, so we had radios in the cars so we could chat, and more amusingly, the lead car could spot for the trailing one, so the trailing car could overtake into blind bends...

We decided it's too far to drive now, so we've switched to near Portpatrick in Gallaway;

's horrible music, so switch your speakers off...)

I need a holiday.

Reply to
Huge

and Sortie

Reply to
djc

Er, you do know that you are supposed to drive on the right hand side of the road in Germany don't you. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Robin writes

"The North" is certainly slipping south. What used to be the BBC TV region covering Northumberland and Durham (from the Pontop Pike transmitter) is now BBC North East and Cumbria. Most of the local news is from Yorkshire or southern Durham, and there's usually a token item from Cumbria (wherever that really is). For days on end, Northumberland (and even Newcastle) barely get a mention.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

On my way back from Italy at the weekend there were two massive accident scenes. One near Chambèry the other close to Le Havre. The first caused by a truck jack knifed in snow, several vehicles then ploughed into it. After waiting an hour with no signs of movement I left the motorway and used the mountain pass to Lyon. Very little traffic, no incidents and when we rejoined the autoroute it was empty until we reached Paris. The other incident seemed have been cause by stupidity. Many vehicles locked into a tangle. We managed to drive around it and get to the ferry on time. No police in sight, no warning signs yet no secondary accidents and the traffic did move as the car drivers cleared the scene themselves.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Signs by the side of the road reading "Fermier" do not mean the road is closed.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And signs reading Fermilab ...

Reply to
polygonum

Like all the public footpaths in Wales that go to Llwybr Cyhoeddus?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

After living in Switzerland for 12 years and California for another 12 years I think I might have *some* clue about what side of the road klods drive on, you cheeky sod :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes It is depressing seeing a sign for Campbletown, but HTF did they get a sign saying 200 miles from the Erskine Bridge? 150 at the most.

Reply to
The Other Mike

because it is the only signpost the cheapskates could afford, they expect you to get lost?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher