9 car pileiup M6..

Most travelling fun fairs have their own gennies. DC too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The North* East Electric Supply Company which was known as NESCO was

40Hz. This company was quite a pioneer in running interconnected power plants. A lot of the expertise the company staff had built up was drawn upon when the Government of the day decided to construct the National Grid. *Originally Newcastle but they expanded fast.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Rrrr?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

As in the band, "Hatfield and The North".

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

And where you join it having driven up the Caledonian road from Euston. Nice big green signs letting you know you are safe at Last:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No, it's "Hatfield and The North" ie everywhere beyond Welwyn Garden City.

Reply to
Reentrant

the hint is in the use of the word 'autobahn' and not 'motorway'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

so plenty of time to turn round.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think there is a sign saying 'here there be Picts: travel at your own risk'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

'Hatfield and the North'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was always.. the North starts at the Watford Gap service station when I was a youth.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not always. No Watford Gap service station - or even M1 - when I were a youth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

wrote: [snip]

People from Newcastle do. It's the dreadful food that they eat.

Reply to
Steve Firth

but the Watford Gap was still there, even before the service station was built.

Reply to
charles

Reply to
Man at B&Q

"Civilisation stops at Watford". Which direction you're travelling in when this happens depends on your prejudices. I always enjoy the sight of London disappearing in the rear view mirrors.

Reply to
John Williamson

So it just filled it in?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which are full of people waving?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The last time I looked there was one on the Euston Road at Baker Str, and another a little further north at Swiss Cottage. And while I consider anywhere north of Euston Road aas 'here be monsters' territory, I would still reckon both as inside rather than just outside London.

Reply to
djc

And the Watford Gap, a topographic feature, is some miles north of the town of Watford.

The boundary that always make me concious of having finally escaped the gravitational pull of London is the cutting on the M40 after High Wycombe.

Reply to
djc