3D Printing

I see you can get a domestic one for only =A3275:

itm/141512708869

-- =

Her voice had that tense grating quality, like a first-generation therma= l paper fax machine that needed a band tightened.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

My dentist has one that starts with a cube of ceramic, and uses a couple of milling bits to remove material, resulting in a crown or inset piece of replacement tooth. I watched it making a piece for me - took about 20 mins. (System is called CEREC.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I remember thinking something similar when one of the astronauts demonstrated emptying a beaker of water out in mid-air in zero gravity, pinging the droplets about and letting them combine (might have been on Spacelab).

At the end, he threw a towel over them, but I expect some smaller ones probably got away.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thats CNC milling , subtractive manufacture, which has alot to commend it , but without going over 3 axis overhangs are a problem.

3D Printing is additive and can do the overhang thing, software patents permitting.
Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Toner is like soot - if a filter is fine enough to catch it, it will very quickly block it. A standard vacuum cleaner bag can't filter toner powder and just blows most of it out in the exhaust, making it air-borne, which is bad news from a health point of view, and it's explosive in air (ignited by low level static created in vacuum cleaner pipework).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have a feeling that is precisely what a lot of people will be doing...

polygonum

As others have said, that *ain't* a 3D printer - it's a CNC milling machine!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well, it's not 'gravity-less', it's in free-fall.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Given the materials that can be 3D printed, has anyone found a practical use for home 3D printing?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Beautiful.

(Talking of different induction / needle valve techniques) I still have one of these in my catamaran:

It used a rotary valve rather than a ported crankshaft.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Gear wheels, especially internal gears; figures for 16mm garden railway at a fraction of the price of the BusyBodies range.

Reply to
gareth

Definitely making scale model parts. Or moulds for them. Prototyping knobs and so on too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

sweet. I did visual models of lots of engines for fun.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Did you ever do an aero 4/ by any chance as I'd love to see that?

OOI, how long would it take to create the example you linked above?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Never did a 4 stroke no

Takes and hour or two to do a motor as a visual more if internal detail is wanted. Of course not strictly to scale..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shame. I'd love to have one, even just to hold and look at. ;-)

It's the same with these cycle frame couplings:

Engineering pron to me ... a delight to hold, use and look etc. ;-)

Ok thanks. Not as long as I imagined, even for someone who knows what they are doing.

Maybe not but it still looks fine. ;-)

I love cutaway / exploded diagrams as well as for me a picture has always been worth more than 1000 words . Daughter seems to now be appreciating the times we have shared doing practical stuff and mentioned she is starting to see things like an X-ray, (as I have done for years now).

Do you have any cutaway / sectioned images you created that you would care to share?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I first came across 3D printing about 10 years ago, when I needed some plastic parts moulded. The moulder produced prototypes by 3D printing, which, while not cheap at the time, was a lot less expensive than having a set of soft mould tools made.

Reply to
Nightjar