3 core SWA cable colour coding..

The plastic box I have just used has a small drain hole at the bottom.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

There isn't a problem with water -in- the box, its where it drains down the outside and then goes under the box and seemingly makes its way into the bit between the bottom of the box and the top of the sealing of the gland cover...

BTW thanks to the gent recommending Magi Gel I did reply but it bounced back;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

My email will bounce (used for Google Groups as I login all over the place).

I'm puzzled by that.

Cause #1 - Water fills the shroud around the gland, seeps under threads over time.

Conventional glands are IP66 with a nylon/fibre sealing washer to the box, Deluge glands are IP68 and basically have a seal on the armour- retention nut to specifically stop this water ingress problem under severe water spray. I doubt this is the cause for you unless you have the nasty "tap taper thread glands" that are a coarse taper thread and will jump thread as soon as you the SWA cone begins to clamp the armour. Screwfix glands seem well ok for the money (fine precise thread).

Cause #2 - Water ingress running down cores - hole in bottom does not help.

This can be due to lack of nylon/fibre sealing washer, or water penetrating outer sheath gland.

Cause #3 - Water ingress due to heat/cool cycles.

As the box is subject to heat/cool cycles any standing water on the lid interface (or non washer-sealed glands) will be drawn in, the cold bridge of the SWA metal gland overnight will attract condensation which builds up in the gland body. Conventional glands (CW) do not have an inner seal on the bedding like E1W which are aimed at stopping this problem, but are an expensive solution - better to use a higher grade box.

Pratley Klik-Lok look an interesting IP68 box - 5-entry (so double from below which is handy), earthing ring or you can use TLC Piranha Nuts, good IP68 rating. Probably more resilient to distortion with SWA than most placcy boxes at about =A314 a go - you use conventional M20 glands & nylon/fibre sealing washers. Ordered one for my own use so may report back. Some IP68 boxes require glands to be screwed in, then SWA offered up, this could get a bit fiddly up a pole :-)

Generally when SWA has armour rotted it is from moisture "down the core/bedding hole" because it has unimpeded access to the armour and will simply sit there and eat the armour down through the cable given time. It can track through threads if they are nasty. No idea if using say the Bicon (pitch) on the threads would be permitted (as in seal but also allow future removal for inspection & testing). Silicone grease solves over time, silicone sealant of the non-acetic time would prevent inspection & testing entirely.

You could just try "potting" the core/bedding into the top of the gland with Bicon/Prysmian/Pirelli/Bicc non-setting compound, that would eliminate that as a cause. I doubt Magic Gel will weep around the armour sufficiently to seal it re air pocket. E1W glands are about =A38-14 per pk of 2 depending on how many you buy re inner-bedding seal & outer-bedding seal - if you have a lot that gets expensive fast.

Any corrosion to the jn-box terminals? If no evidence there it does look like gland cone-nut penetration - slot the shroud?

Reply to
js.b1

This looks like Option One to me.

I reckon the best bet is to fill up the shroud with silicone grease and inspect that a few times a year, not a problem all is easily accessible:)

And no water inside at all:...

Reply to
tony sayer

another option would be someone used the so called 2 part glands designed for indoor use that lack the final sealing nut....

Reply to
John Rumm