240v supply from 415V ?

I have an electrical panel supplied with 415V, 3 phase and earth, no neutral. I need to have a 240v powered switch mode PSU installed in the same panel. Can it be done without a neutral?

Thanks

Reply to
BodgeIt

I suggest a 400/230 volt transformer to power the PSU. You may need to earth one leg of the 230 volt output to provide a neutral depending on the requirements of the PSU.

Reply to
cynic

Yes, but you would need to buy a 415v/230V transformer.

An autotransformer will do and may be cheaper than an isolating transformer, but you are more likely to get 415V to 110V, so check if your switch mode is dual voltage.

If the power is 50VA or less, you could use eBay item 170461492064

link to eBay:

the primary of the transformer between any two 415V phases with a 2-phase MCB, e.g.

Dave Osborne

Thanks for your advice, I hadn't even thought about a step down transformer having got so focused on going across a phase and my non existent neutral.

Cheers

Reply to
BodgeIt