22mm Compression Stop End fitting?

I am fitting 22mm compression stop end to a cold water pipe in my bathroom and was wondering how far onto the pipe should the compression ring go? Many thanks.

Reply to
bob

Depends on the fitting. The olive goes wherever the fitting needs it.

The olive ( ring ) should slip onto the pipe and be able to slide back and forth reasonably freely.

Then slide the fitting onto the pipe till it bottoms out.

Then slide the olive back against the fitting, and do up the nut.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Thanks Ron. Don't think i cleaned the end of the pip enough then, as the olive doesn't slip that easy.

Would a pushfit or speedfit fitting be better. I've just had one fail but it was from B&Q. It lasted 6 months so not sure why it went pop today perhaps local water authority increasd the pressure again.

Reply to
bob

There's a shoulder inside the fitting which butts against the end of the pipe. So push the fitting - with the olive inside - onto the pipe as far as as it will go, and do up the nut so as to nip the olive onto the pipe. If you take it apart again, you will typically find about 5mm of pipe protruding beyond the olive - but the exact amount varies from fitting to fitting.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Put the nut onto the pipe first. Next slide on the olive (compression ring). At this point you can add lubricant if you wish. Put the cap on the end of the pipe until it stops then push up the nut with the olive to the cap threads and screw together without lifting the cap.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Thanks Heliotrope, very clear instructions. What sort of lubricant would i use?

Reply to
bob

None. Compression fittings are designed for use on clean pipes with no additional material. If you add stuff it means you aren't doing it properly, the pipe is the wrong size or it is deformed.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

If the pipe is deformed such that the olive can't be slid to it's correct place, then I'd cut back a little further or clean up the pipe or whatever it takes .

Pushfit fittings also need clean, in-gauge pipe to work properly.

You really need to get the pipe sorted.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

There are plenty of lubricating jointing compounds about in the d i y sheds, plumbers merchants and the likes of screwfix etc. The main thing is to be sure they are suitable for use on potable water. Just a light smear is all that is required to assist with tightening up and stopping the screeching whilst doing so. If you are only doing one or two fittings then it would not be worth buying the stuff and just tighten up dry.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith