Compression fitting lraks.

I am installing compression stop valves to copper pipe. They seem to require a high level of torque to prevent leakage. Is this normal? I cleaned the copper with emery and then removed the debris.

Would it help if I used some PTFE tape on the copper? If not, are there any other techniques I should use.

Peter.

Reply to
PVR

bamboo

Don't use tape.

However, I have found that they seal better and are much much easier to tighten if you apply a little Teflon paste pipe dope to the compression ring.

Don't clean the pipe; as noted, that will leave scratches.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

When I first bought my house, I used compression fittings because I was afraid to sweat copper. Then I got so frustrated at compression fittings that leaked and all the trouble I had to go through to make them work that I knew it was time for a change. I bought a bunch of copper and fittings, all the stuff needed to sweat copper and spent a little time at the workbench learning to sweat.

Once I realized how easy it was, I never used another compression fitting. I also tackled jobs I had avoided (like running hot water out to the garage) since swaeting is so much easier and cheaper.

Do yourself a favor, buy a bunch of fittings and pipe and teach youeself to sweat in a no-pressure environment - at the bench.

Good Luck!

PVR wrote:

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm going to shorten the pipes by removing the emoried ends of about 5/8" then reinstall the stop valves.

Many thanks for your help.

Peter

Reply to
PVR

Practice seems to be best. BTW I have found that it is easy to over tighten the fittings. I would rather they be not tight enough than too tight. If not tight enough, I can snug them up, but if too tight, then It means replacing parts.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Skip the emery, and don't use teflon or other tape.

The hint is to soak the fitting with penetrating oil before tightening. That makes the nut twist a lot better, and the ferrule slips into shape easier.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You can buy just the ferrules at the home cheepo. WD-40 works OK for the penetrating oil. That should help with the lraks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon